Trending Topics

Pot gummies suspected of sickening 8 kids at Calif. school

Los Angeles Fire Department crewmembers evaluated the children and transported five to a hospital


Eight children were evaluated for “sudden illness” at Sun Valley Magnet School after possible “ingestion of chewable marijuana (‘gummies’)” on Wednesday, the Los Angeles Fire Department said.

Photo/Chris Yarzab/Wikimedia

By Brooke Baitinger
The Charlotte Observer

LOS ANGELES — Eight kids got sick at a California school, and officials said it could be from eating pot gummies.

The kids were evaluated for “sudden illness” at Sun Valley Magnet School after possible “ingestion of chewable marijuana (‘gummies’)” on Wednesday, March 15, the Los Angeles Fire Department said in a news release.

They were all between 12 and 16 years old, but officials said they don’t know whether they are students at the school, the release said. The fire department said “how each may be affiliated with the campus remains a matter” for the school district.

Five of them went to a hospital and the other three were released to their parents, officials said.

The Los Angeles Unified School District told McClatchy News the students were monitored for further evaluation by EMS officials.

“Today, we were made aware of students who suffered from a medical incident at Sun Valley Magnet School. In an abundance of caution, the school requested medical assistance,” a spokesperson said in a statement.

The Los Angeles School Police Department is an “independent school police department” that serves the Los Angeles Unified School District, according to its website.

The school “remains safe and open for instruction,” the spokesperson said.

©2023 The Charlotte Observer.
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

The kits contain medications to help Polk County Fire Rescue EMS prevent seizures and reduce brain swelling
Several patients experiencing headaches and dizziness at a North Whitehall childcare center were transported to area hospitals
An allegedly hidden EMS report leads to an investigation on why Beryl Harman was not transported
MMR’s Vice President of Operations Eric Snidersich said the current system in Traverse City is very effective when compared to fire-based transport