Calif. EMS providers respond to fights that shut down Knott’s Berry Farm

Orange County Fire Authority crewmembers transported two people to a hospital, treated one on site and remained on scene hours after the park closed

Caitlin Antonios
The Orange County Register

BUENA PARK, Calif. — Multiple fights broke out Saturday evening at Knott’s Berry Farm in Buena Park, causing the park to close early for the night, officials said.

Police responded around 7:30 p.m. to the park, where multiple fights were occurring, Buena Park Police Department Sgt. Chad Weaver said.

There were reports from amusement park goers that shots were heard, but police did not find evidence of a shooting, Weaver said.

Video footage from the park Saturday showed a chaotic and panicked scene as people rushed to safety. Some people hid in restaurants or park shops fearing a shooting.

A video circulating online showed a security guard knocked to the ground by a punch and surrounded by a large group of people while still lying on the floor. Another Knott’s security officer is seen shielding a woman who had been shoved to the floor as people still throw punches.

Another video shows a fight between what appear to be teenagers. One boy is punched and kicked while on the ground, and when he gets up, he stumbles away.

“The safety of Knott’s Berry Farm’s guests and associates is always our top priority. On Saturday evening, the decision was made to close the park three hours early due to unruly behavior and altercations involving a number of teenagers. This behavior did not align with our park’s values, and was not the experience we want any guest to have while visiting Knott’s Berry Farm,” Knott’s said in a statement.

The park normally closes at 11 p.m. on Saturdays.

Multiple victims were assaulted, but the exact number could not be confirmed as some people had left the park before receiving treatment or speaking with police. The injuries were not life-threatening, Weaver said around 8:45 p.m.

The Orange County Fire Authority was called to the scene just before 8 p.m. Two people were transported to a local hospital with non-life-threatening injuries and one person received treatment on scene, but declined transportation to a hospital, OCFA Capt. Sean Doran said around 10 p.m.

OCFA paramedics remained on scene hours after the park closed.

Whether the fights were in the same location at the park or in separate areas was under investigation. No arrests were made as of 10:30 p.m. Saturday.



©2022 MediaNews Group, Inc.

McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2023 EMS1. All rights reserved.