Choking toddler dies after closest D.C. medics were not dispatched

The city blames the delay on human error, while the firefighter’s union says it was caused by problems with technology used to identify units closest to emergencies


The Washington Post

WASHINGTON D.C. — The city is conducting an investigation into the D.C. fire department response last week to a 911 call to help a toddler who was choking on grapes and later died.

Paramedics who were about a mile away were sent to the child’s Tenleytown house on March 13, while others only blocks away were never dispatched. The boy, about 18 months old, died Thursday, officials said.

Kevin Donahue, the deputy city administrator, said an investigation is underway to pinpoint failures. The city blames the delay on human error, while the firefighter’s union says it was caused by problems with technology used to identify fire engines and ambulances closest to emergencies.

Read full story: Choking toddler dies after D.C. fails to dispatch closest paramedic to house

Request product info from top EMS Dispatch Equipment companies

Thank You!

By submitting your information, you agree to be contacted by the selected vendor(s) and that the data you submit is exempt from Do Not Sell My Personal Information requests. View our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2022 EMS1. All rights reserved.