11 weirdest EMS news stories of 2022
This year’s strangest tales involved a medic who won a lottery, providers treating family members, a heroic dispatcher, unfriendly animals and unique car crashes
It seems like EMS providers can encounter anything on a call or even while off-duty. Some interactions are weird, wild or actually wonderful.
Here’s a look back at some of the strangest EMS news of 2022.
You may have dealt with unruly patients or had a long day, but these two men survived an alligator attack and being lost at sea for 18 hours.
1. 'I felt the scales, then I felt the teeth': Fla. FF-medic survives alligator attack
With a partly crushed skull and a broken jaw, J.C. La Verde, also known as J.C. Defeats, kept swimming until he reached safety.
2. Man survives 18 hours at sea by clinging to toy ball
The man was caught in powerful currents off the coast of Greece. He saw a half-inflated ball floating toward him and clung to it until he was rescued.
Sometimes you wind up helping a family member; sometimes they help you.
3. Calif. firefighter-EMT, wife deliver own baby on side of road
Fresno’s Taylor Cruz said he went “into work mode” for his first baby delivery – his daughter.
4. Wash. FF honored for rescue after performing CPR on FF-medic father
Spokane Firefighter Alex Rossi woke up to find his father, who also is a firefighter, in cardiac arrest. The younger firefighter immediately began CPR.
5. ‘Didn’t seem real’: Retired N.C. paramedic wins $100K on lottery scratch-off
Randy Boggs' winnings came after he purchased a $30 scratch-off ticket. He and his wife were stunned.
6. Md. EMS chief in group facing 223 charges of hunting crimes suspended
A Maryland EMS Chief was charged with misdemeanors of spotlighting, hunting from a motor vehicle, having a loaded firearm in a vehicle and conspiracy.
Speaking of hunting …
7. Moose gores bow hunter who shot and missed
The hunter’s GPS device triggered a response from deputies and EMS providers.
8. New Orleans teen calls 911 after being robbed at gunpoint, forced into freezer. Her mom answers
Teri Clark, an assistant operations manager at the Orleans Parish Communications District, wasn’t even supposed to be working but had stayed late when she heard her daughter’s voice on the line.
9. Woman with hatchet blocks Utah ambulance during rush hour
Police officers said the woman was also carrying a bullwhip and a knife.
EMS providers respond to MVCs every day, but these two were unique.
10. Tesla crashes down Calif. embankment, lands on Falck ambulance
San Diego Fire-Rescue EMS providers transported four people, who were treated for minor injuries.
11. Calif. lifeguards evacuate swimmers before suspected DUI driver crashes into pool
The lifeguards also extricated two women from the crashed vehicle.
MORE OOHS, AHS AND LAUGHS
Check out all our weird news articles here.