Video: FDNY EMT who survived stroke cheered while leaving hospital

EMT Liam Glinane, 63, was released from the hospital after six weeks, just in time for Thanksgiving

By EMS1 Staff

NEW YORK — A New York City EMT was greeted with a round of applause from fellow first responders as he was released from the hospital after surviving a stroke.

EMT Liam Glinane, 63, was released today after six weeks of treatment, just in time for Thanksgiving, according to WABC.

“You couldn’t write this story any better,” Glinane said. “This is a total success story thanks to this staff in the building behind me.”

Glinane had the stroke while driving in the city on Oct. 17 and crashed his vehicle.

While responding to the incident, FDNY EMS Lt. Raymond Wang had an aortic aneurysm. Wang has also recovered and was at Glinane's side escorting him from the hospital.

“I’m leaving under my own power with 100% funtionability, so the city didn’t lose two people today,” Glinane said. “We’re back in the game. We’re not going anywhere.”


On November 27, 2019, FDNY members gathered in support of EMT Liam Glinane, who was discharged from The Mount Sinai Hospital after suffering a life-threatening medical emergency while on duty on October 17. EMT Glinane was first transported to Mount Sinai Queens, then transferred to Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan where he received further medical care. EMT Glinane said, “You couldn’t write this story any better. This is a total success story thanks to the staff here. You’re looking at two of the luckiest New Yorkers in the city right now. I’ve got another shot at life.” EMT Glinane was escorted by Lt. Raymond Wang, who was discharged on October 30 after suffering a separate life-threatening medical emergency when responding to provide emergency medical care to EMT Glinane. Lt. Wang said, “I’m so happy that I’m able to walk together with Liam.” Chief of EMS Lillian Bonsignore said, “Today I consider this our new FDNY Thanksgiving. We almost lost two of our heroes, people who have spent their lives dedicated to other people, and today that was given back to them.”

Posted by New York City Fire Department (FDNY) on Wednesday, November 27, 2019


Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2020 All rights reserved.