W. Va. paramedic uses naloxone to save dog from overdose

A woman pleaded with an EMT after stopping at Cabell County EMS to give her dog, Charlie Boy, naloxone to prevent a fatal overdose after he ate OxyContin


By EMS1 Staff 

HUNTINGTON, W. Va. — A Cabell County EMS paramedic administered naloxone to a dog who had eaten OxyContin.

According to Williamson Daily News, a woman frantically stopped at the EMS agency pleading for help for her dog, Charlie Boy. She asked the EMT to use naloxone to counter the effects of the opioid, but Darrell Ennis had never used the drug on a dog and did not know what the proper dose was.

The paramedic gave Charlie Boy a normal adult dose, which helped prevent a fatal overdose. (Photo/Pixabay)
The paramedic gave Charlie Boy a normal adult dose, which helped prevent a fatal overdose. (Photo/Pixabay)

"I never thought something like this would happen, and that's the biggest thing – something like that will happen and then you just kind of sit back and think, 'Why did this just happen?''' Ennis said.

Ennis gave Charlie Boy a normal adult dose, which helped prevent a fatal overdose.

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2019 ems1.com. All rights reserved.