Chemical release at Ohio pool sends 16 children to hospitals
A Miami County official said there was a “surge of chemicals” at the Troy pool that caused several children to be taken to local hospitals
By Nancy BowmanKristen Spicker
TROY, Ohio — More than a dozen kids were taken to area hospitals as a precautionary measure following a chemical issue at a private Miami County swim club’s pool Monday morning.
Troy Fire Department Assistant Chief Wade Dexter said crews transported 16 children from ages 8 to 16 years old to hospitals to be evaluated.
All but one of the children had been released as of approximately 4 p.m. Monday. Dexter said it wasn’t clear whether the last child would be admitted to the hospital or just held longer for evaluation.
The incident happened at Dolphin Club, which is on Ohio 718, about a mile west of I-75′s exit 73 in Concord Twp.
The kids were practicing as part of a swim team when the pool had an extra release of chemicals, Dexter said. The pool reportedly uses chlorine as well as an acid to maintain the pH balance of the water.
Miami County Emergency Management Agency Director Joel Smith said the issue has been resolved with the pool.
“There was a single surge of chemicals that affected the swimmers in the pool,” he said.
The pool was closed to the public for the Juneteenth holiday and will have to be cleared by Miami County Public Health to reopen, Dexter said.
The Miami County Hazardous Materials Team responded to the pool in addition to the Troy Fire Department and Miami County Emergency Management Agency.