Mother, 1-year-old son killed by carbon monoxide during blizzard
The mother was inside the car with her children as the father cleared the snow around the car
PASSAIC, N.J. — When a family in New Jersey was trapped in the East Coast snowstorm this weekend, the father tried to dig their way out of the snow, while the mother and two children waited in the running car to escape the cold.
What they didn’t realize was that the car’s tailpipe was covered in snow as well, pushing deadly carbon monoxide inside the car.
When Felix Bonilla checked on his family, he could not wake them up, The Washington Post reported.
Bonilla called 911 and, with the help of neighbors, performed CPR trying to revive his family.
When medics arrived at the scene, they could not find a pulse for the mother or her 1-year-old son. The 3-year-old girl was rushed to a hospital.
The mother, 23-year-old Sashalynn Rosa, and her son, Messiah, were killed. Three-year-old Saniyah was listed in critical condition.
— WFSB Channel 3 (@WFSBnews) January 26, 2016
Passaic police said this incident should serve as a warning for others. “Any snow that covers your tailpipe you want to shovel the snow from the back of the car and clear the tailpipe before you even start the car,” said Battalion Chief Chris DiBella.
The Associated Press reported at least 45 people died as a result of this snowstorm.