Calif. burn center reports six-fold increase in cooking injuries during pandemic

The chief of the burn center said an increase in home cooking due to stay-at-home orders has led to an increase in patients needing emergency burn care

Molly Sullivan
The Sacramento Bee

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — While California’s stay-at-home order is helping to slow the spread of the coronavirus, its also having some unintended consequences: New cooks and distracted cooks are getting burned in the kitchen.

“Specialists at the Firefighters Burn Institute Regional Burn Center at UC Davis Medical Center have seen a nearly six-fold increase in patients with burns related to at-home food preparation,” UC Davis Medical Center said in a news release. “Those injuries were all serious enough for emergency care and, in some cases, hospitalization and surgery.”

The Firefighters Burn Institute Regional Burn Center at UC David Medical Center has seen a six-fold increase in burn injuries related to at-home cooking during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Firefighters Burn Institute Regional Burn Center at UC David Medical Center has seen a six-fold increase in burn injuries related to at-home cooking during the COVID-19 pandemic. (Photo/stevepb, Pixabay)

Dr. Tina Palmieri, a surgeon and chief of the burn center, said doctors have seen a small, but significantly higher number of patients with cooking-related burns compared to the same period last year.

Between March 19 and April 13, the burn center treated 17 patients for cooking-related burns. During the same period last year, they treated three.

“It’s easy to forget the kitchen can be a dangerous place, especially now when so many people are learning to cook, cooking more often or trying new things, and when there are so many distractions like other household members and even kids and pets roaming through the kitchen,” Palmieri said in a statement. “It’s definitely a recipe for burn accidents.”

And the uptick isn’t only in California. Burn centers across the country have been experiencing a similar increase as more people than ever are staying in and cooking more, Palmieri said.

Palmieri said the burns are the result of mishaps in the kitchen, usually stemming from cooking with grease, to wearing loose clothing that hangs over a open flame and catches fire.

“They’re cooking with grease and the grease catches on fire, and they either try to put it out with water which doesn’t work, or they catch on fire, or they try to run outside with the pot and they spill the grease on themselves,” Palmieri said.

“I always tell everybody this is the only time you can tell someone to you can put a lid on it and be polite, because that’s the way you put out a grease fire. Put a lid on the pot,” she said.

People have also come into the burn center with injuries they received while trying to light a stove that’s been inoperable for awhile, she added.

Cooking-related spill burns are also on the rise, with UC Davis’ emergency room seeing more patients with burns from boiling water and hot coffee, Palmieri said.

Other instances, which have been shared widely on social media during recent times, have shown people just not taking a burning stove seriously. One video, shared on social media platforms TikTok, Instagram and Reddit, shows a couple dancing for the camera before the man accidentally waves his hand downward, launching a pan of piping-hot contents on him and his significant other.

If you’re new to cooking or maybe you’re just a little rusty, Palmieri suggests taking steps such as removing distractions in the kitchen while you’re cooking and always keeping a lid handy.

Make sure to keep pot handles over the stove and not sticking out when they are hot. Also, do not wear loose, billowing clothing such as robes or kimonos when cooking because the sleeves can hang low and potentially catch fire.

Pamieri says in the end, simple mistakes can turn costly when it comes to burns.

“The average burn is still about $50,000 if you end up in the hospital,” Palmieri said. “It’s an expensive thing. It’s better to be safe and protect yourself and your family. Just take a little extra time and a few precautions and you can enjoy your cooking.”


©2020 The Sacramento Bee (Sacramento, Calif.)

McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2021 EMS1. All rights reserved.