1 dead, 8 ill in suspected carbon monoxide leak in Vt.

One person woke up feeling ill early in the morning and alerted the others


The Associated Press

KILLINGTON, Vt. — Police say a suspected carbon monoxide leak at a Vermont ski chalet killed the Massachusetts man who owned the home and sickened eight other people.

Authorities say nine people were staying at the Killington chalet when one person woke up feeling ill early Friday morning and alerted the others.

Vermont State Police say 60-year-old Edward Lappen, of Cohasset, Mass., died at a hospital. His wife was taken by helicopter to the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, where she was listed in fair condition Friday afternoon. The other seven are being treated at Rutland Regional Medical Center.

Police believe a cracked propane wall heater in the basement was the source of the leak. The chalet did not have carbon monoxide detectors.

Request product info from top CO Screening companies

Thank You!

By submitting your information, you agree to be contacted by the selected vendor(s) and that the data you submit is exempt from Do Not Sell My Personal Information requests. View our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2022 EMS1. All rights reserved.