Explosion injures workers at NYC construction site
Gas buildup caused a blast when a padlock was cut at the former Sony Tower in Manhattan, seriously injured two workers
By Janon Fisher
New York Daily News
NEW YORK — Two workers were seriously injured Wednesday morning when an improperly stored acetylene gas tank exploded in an area under construction in the landmarked Manhattan building where AT&T was once headquartered, authorities said.
One worker was sent to Weill Cornell Hospital and another was taken to Bellevue for serious injuries about 6:30 a.m. after a blast from a gas build-up in a storage container was sparked by a Sawzall that they used to cut a padlock by workers to get their tools, according to the Fire Department and the Department of Buildings. The incident happened at 550 Madison Ave, formerly known as the Sony Tower.
After the mishap, DOB investigators uncovered other hazards in the building, prompting them to issue a partial work order.
The freight elevator used for construction had an expired FDNY permit, according to the DOB.