NFL player's family releases statement on his condition after collapse, thanks first responders

After Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin went into cardiac arrest, EMS providers restored his heartbeat and transported him

By Mohammad Ahmad

CINCINNATI — The family of Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin has spoken out for the first time since Hamlin’s medical emergency.

Hamlin’s family released a joint statement Tuesday directly through Hamlin’s marketing representative and friend, Jordon Rooney. In the announcement, Hamlin’s family wrote:

Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin went into cardiac arrest Monday night after tackling Bengals wide receiver Tee Higgins.
Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin went into cardiac arrest Monday night after tackling Bengals wide receiver Tee Higgins. (Photo/Joshua A. Bickel/Associated Press)

“On behalf of our family, we want to express our sincere gratitude for the love and support shown to Damar during this challenging time. We are deeply moved by the prayers, kind words, and donations from fans around the country.

We also want to acknowledge the dedicated first responders and healthcare professionals at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center who have provided exceptional care to Damar. We feel so blessed to be part of the Buffalo Bills organization and to have their support. We also want to thank Coach Taylor and the Bengals for everything they’ve done.

Your generosity and compassion mean the world to us. Please keep Damar in your prayers. We will release updates as soon as we have them.”

This is the latest update just over 15 hours after Hamlin collapsed on the field. He was taken to UC Medical Center’s level 1 trauma unit as part of the league’s emergency action plan by medical personnel and staff. Rooney and Hamlin’s agent, Ira Turner, both provided respective updates on Hamlin’s critical condition.

Rooney also spoke with Good Morning America anchor Robin Roberts on Hamlin’s status, calling Hamlin a “fighter” and adding that his family “is in good spirits.”

The Buffalo Bills tweeted out Tuesday morning with more details on Hamlin. They wrote that he went into cardiac arrest after tackling Bengals wide receiver Tee Higgins midway through the first quarter of Monday’s contest. Medical personnel restored his heartbeat using CPR compressions and IV before taking him to UC Medical Center.

They also added that his vitals are restored, and he is sedated as the hospital was running tests on him.

©2023 Advance Local Media LLC.
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2023 EMS1. All rights reserved.