Carbon monoxide at Mo. school sends 6 students, 2 adults to hospital
Firefighters found "extremely high" levels of the lethal gas inside the building, said Kansas City Assistant Fire Chief Jimmy Walker
The Associated Press
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Six students and two adults were taken to a hospital for evaluation after a carbon monoxide leak was detected Wednesday at a Kansas City elementary school, officials said.
The eight people taken to hospitals from Longfellow Elementary School suffered nausea and dizziness but none suffered life-threatening issues, Assistant Fire Chief Jimmy Walker said.
Emergency responders went to the school after several students reported feeling ill. Firefighters found "extremely high" levels of the lethal gas inside the building, Walker said.
BREAKING: KCFD says they are evaluating as many as 20 students at Longfellow Elementary School following a carbon monoxide leak. Latest updates: https://t.co/tnBs4y88rm— KSHB 41 News (@KSHB41) October 19, 2022
The level of carbon monoxide reached 2,000 parts per million, which was the maximum for monitors used by firefighters at the scene, Walker said.
The cause of the leak is under investigation. Firefighters were ventilating the building but it was unclear when students could return to Longfellow.
When fire crews arrived at the elementary school, they measured carbon monoxide levels so high it maxed out some of their equipment. https://t.co/0ZwHnSNAJd— The Kansas City Star (@KCStar) October 19, 2022
School district spokesperson Elle Moxley said the district had contractors check its heating systems last week, including at Longfellow, in anticipation of colder weather. No problems were detected, she said.
Moxley said every child was checked and the district will work with the fire department before determining where Longfellow students will attend school this week.
How to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning
Know the common sources and symptoms, immediate treatment options, and how to prevent CO poisoning