Wis. paramedic collapses at scene of house fire

Paramedic Dann Schamens was “pulseless and not breathing” before colleagues began life-saving measures, EMS officials said


By News Staff

SPARTA, Wis. — A Wisconsin paramedic collapsed at the scene of a house fire and was airlifted to the hospital in critical condition Saturday morning.

Paramedic Dann Schamens was “pulseless and not breathing,” according to Sparta Area Ambulance, and fellow responders began lifesaving measures.

Paramedic Dann Schamens collapsed while responding to a house fire on Saturday morning. Schamens has served with Sparta Area Ambulance for more than 25 years. (Photo/Sparta Area Ambulance Facebook)
Paramedic Dann Schamens collapsed while responding to a house fire on Saturday morning. Schamens has served with Sparta Area Ambulance for more than 25 years. (Photo/Sparta Area Ambulance Facebook)

Schamens regained a pulse and was airlifted to the hospital where he was reported as being in critical condition, according to WXOW.

EMS officials said Schamens was in stable condition in a Facebook post Sunday night.

A mother and daughter were rescued from the fire at the two-story house and have since been released from the hospital after receiving treatment for burns and smoke inhalation, WXOW reported.

 

On Saturday November 23rd while on a fire standby Paramedic Dann Schamens collapsed at the scene. Dann was pulseless ...

Posted by Sparta Area Ambulance on Sunday, November 24, 2019

 

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Get EMS news in your inbox

Thanks! You've been successfully signed up for the EMS1 Member Newsletter

Copyright © 2019 ems1.com. All rights reserved.