EMT suspended after trying to save choking girl
He stopped to help while transporting a patient; the child is on life support
NEW YORK — An EMT was suspended from his job for trying to save a 7-year-old girl who was choking on her lunch at school.
The girl is now on life support and brain-dead, ABC7 reported.
When the girl started choking while eating a sandwich at school, someone ran outside to call for help.
EMT Qwasie Reid, who works for a private ambulance company, was driving by and stopped when he heard the cries for help. He was transporting a patient from a hospital to an assisted living facility at the moment, and another EMT was with him.
Reid said when he got inside she saw the girl cyanotic, unconscious and unresponsive. He cleared her mouth, put an oxygen mask on her, used a defibrillator and started performing CPR.
Apparently no one had called 911.
The family is now looking for answers and it is unclear why the EMT was suspended.
"I made a vow to save a life. If I had to jump out of the ambulance again, I'd do anything. I pray to God she feels better," Reid said.