Training Announcement from the New York State Academy of Fire Science and CISM Perspectives
Every year, the United States looses more than 100 firefighters, 15 EMT/Paramedics and 125 Law Enforcement Officers in the line of duty. A majority of the agencies that suffer a Line of Duty Death (LODD) have no formalized response plan, SOG’s or the knowledge of the various resources to properly prepare for and respond to a LODD as well, other department related deaths.
On April 12TH and 13TH, 2008, the NYS Fire Academy, Montour Falls, NY along with Dan McGuire from CISM Perspectives will present a 12-hour multi-media LODD pre-planning workshop. This is ideal for any Fire/EMS Chief, line officer, manager, chaplain, commissioner or CISM teams in the emergency services.
Samples of topics to be instructed include:
• Updated LODD causes and national statistics
• How to create an comprehensive LODD pre-plan
• Planning for Level 1, Level 2, Level 3 deaths in your agency
• What pitfalls to avoid
• Public Safety Officers Benefit Program information
• Effective Communication tactics for LODD responses
• Supporting the surviving family and your department
• List of local, regional and national LODD resources
• Death notification training, grief support
The cost of the workshop is $25 (standard registration fee for NYS responders, $50 for non-NYS responders); overnight accommodations and meals are available for an additional $40 per day/person.
Please contact the Academy for further information at 607-535-7136, x600. See the Academy’s website for specific information/directions and registration forms at: www.dos.state.ny.us/fire/academy.htm A major portion of the costs to provide this invaluable training is being underwritten by the NYS Office of Fire Prevention and Control.