54 sickened by carbon monoxide leak at Colo. tourney

The victims, including adults, teens and children, had attended a hockey tournament Sunday at a local ice rink


The Associated Press

GUNNISON, Colo. — A hospital official says 54 people have been treated for varying degrees of carbon monoxide poisoning that occurred at a youth hockey tournament in the western Colorado town of Gunnison.

Randy Phelps, CEO of the Gunnison Valley Health Hospital, says eight of the people were hospitalized in serious condition, including two who were transported to Denver for hyperbaric oxygen chamber treatment. The pressurized chamber treatment restores a patient's oxygen levels and reduces carbon monoxide as quickly as possible.

KMGH-TV reports the rest of the victims were treated and released. Phelps says none of the patients' injuries were life-threatening.

The victims, including adults, teens and children — had attended a hockey tournament Sunday at a local ice rink.

There's no word yet on what may have caused the carbon monoxide leak.

Request product info from top CO Screening companies

Thank You!

By submitting your information, you agree to be contacted by the selected vendor(s) and that the data you submit is exempt from Do Not Sell My Personal Information requests. View our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2022 EMS1. All rights reserved.