Paramedic seriously burned in Christmas Day explosion at her home

NC Paramedic Lorrie Williams has burns over 80 percent of her body from the explosion


WRAL

ROANOKE RAPIDS, N.C. — A paramedic coming off a 78-hour shift is fighting for her life after being critically injured in an explosion outside her home on Christmas Day. Her youngest daughter was also seriously hurt.

Fire officials said they believe Lorrie Williams, a single mother of five girls and a paramedic for Gaston and Halifax counties, may have mistakenly added a can containing gasoline to a controlled burn in her backyard, thinking it was an empty can of kerosene.

“I ran outside, and my mom was just covered in flames,” 14-year-old Alexis Williams said. “She was trying to roll – stop, drop and roll – and I told her to get up and go jump in the pool, and that’s what she did.”

Tonight on WRAL-TV at 5:30

A Halifax County paramedic is fighting for her life after an explosion at her home on Christmas Day. Her 13-year-old daughter was also injured. WRAL Kathryn Brown will have more this evening.

Posted by WRAL TV on Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Read full story: Halifax paramedic, daughter seriously injured in Christmas Day explosion

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2019 ems1.com. All rights reserved.