Sandy Hook Elementary evacuated after bomb scare
The threat that was phoned in was considered "low to no threat," officials say, and the evacuation was precautionary
The Associated Press
NEWTOWN, Conn. — Newtown's schools superintendent says a bomb threat phoned in to the Sandy HookSchool that forced its evacuation was "complex," but was considered "low to no threat."
The News-Times reports Superintendent Joseph Erardi told about 100 parents at a meeting Wednesday night that the decision to evacuate the school was made at 10:45 a.m. Wednesday after speaking with police. The threat was phoned in at 9:30 a.m.
He said evacuating the school was precautionary.
Several parents praised faculty and staff for managing the evacuation as a drill. Children were not aware of the bomb threat.
A gunman fatally shot 20 children and six educators at a previously used Sandy Hook School in December 2012. That building has been demolished and a school in neighboring Monroe is being used.