1 dead from exposure to CO at NC farm

Sixteen others were hospitalized after being exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide in a packing facility at a farm


The Associated Press

FRANKLIN, N.C. — Authorities in western North Carolina say one person died and 16 others were hospitalized after being exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide in a packing facility at a farm.

The Asheville Citizen-Times reports that Matt Mason, assistant chief of Clarks Creek Fire and Rescue, said emergency responders found two workers unresponsive Friday inside a refrigerated packing house where fruits and vegetables are stored.

Mason said one of the two workers suffered cardiac arrest and was pronounced dead at Angel Medical Center in Franklin. The other was airlifted to Greenville Memorial Hospital in South Carolina. His condition was unknown.

Mason said four bystanders who stopped to help and 11 emergency workers and sheriff's office personnel were also overcome.

Mason said the N.C. Division of Occupational Safety and Health is investigating.

Request product info from top CO Screening companies

Thank You!

By submitting your information, you agree to be contacted by the selected vendor(s) and that the data you submit is exempt from Do Not Sell My Personal Information requests. View our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2022 EMS1. All rights reserved.