Trending Topics

34 college students treated for carbon monoxide exposure

Fire officials said a boiler in the basement was leaking; the leak filled the dorm’s five floors with high levels of CO2

Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Miss. — The Mississippi University for Women says it’s continuing tests in a dormitory after 34 students were treated for inhaling carbon monoxide.

University spokeswoman Anika Perkins said Tuesday evening all the students have been released from Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle in Columbus. She says that as of Tuesday afternoon, no carbon monoxide was detected in Kincannon Hall, but says testing will continue Wednesday. Perkins says students are being housed in hotels Tuesday night, but the dorm might reopen Wednesday.

Kincannon Hall was evacuated early Tuesday after students smelled natural gas.

Columbus Fire and Rescue spokesman Anthony Colom says a boiler in the basement was leaking. He says the leak filled the dorm’s five floors with high levels of carbon monoxide.

Kincannon Hall houses freshmen at the 2,800-student university.

An FDNY ambulance was struck by an SUV while en route to a hospital
Alexia Jobson, Dr. Peter Antevy, Brian Maloney, Doug Wolfberg and more join the podcast to discuss takeaways from the show
This user-friendly resource aims to address a gap in PPE selection and enhance safety culture
“There, I said it. I do not like your pretty ambulances and I don’t think they contribute to the safety of our responders.”