Trending Topics

Man sentenced 20 years for assaulting paramedic

George Hosey was in jail when he attacked the paramedic who came to treat him

By Jessica Priest
Victoria Advocate

GOLIAD COUNTY, Texas — A man once charged in connection with the 1985 shooting of a game warden was found guilty by a jury this week for the March 2014 assault of a paramedic.

George Hosey, 47, was sentenced to 20 years in prison and fined $10,000.

Hosey was in the Goliad County Jail in March 2014, charged with retaliation, a third-degree felony that is still pending.

Hosey complained of pain and a head injury, so a jail employee called a paramedic to treat him, Assistant District Attorney Reid Manning said.

Hosey then struck the paramedic three times in the head with his hands.

A jailer who tried to break up the assault also injured his knee, but the jury found Hosey not guilty of assaulting that jailer.

Throughout the trial, the jury heard about Hosey’s lengthy criminal history. He faced one of his most serious charges when he was 15.

At that age, he and his father, Amos Hosey, were charged with shooting Velton Williams, a game warden in Goliad County, on Sept. 28, 1985.

In 1990, Amos Hosey was convicted of attempted capital murder of Williams and sentenced to life in prison. In 2013, he died in prison.

The prosecution, meanwhile, dismissed the attempted capital murder of Williams charge against George Hosey. The younger Hosey instead pleaded guilty to burglary of a vehicle and was sentenced to 10 years probation. During this probation, however, he left the state and lived under the alias Jerry Malone. He was extradited to Texas in 2004.

The assault of a public servant charge Hosey was on trial for this week in Goliad is a third-degree felony, which carries a punishment of two to 10 years in prison. But, because of his prior convictions, the punishment range was enhanced to two to 20 years in prison.

Manning and Assistant District Attorney Tim Poynter prosecuted the case.

Victoria Davis, an attorney based in Cuero, represented Hosey. Attempts to reach both Davis and Hosey’s wife, Dawn Hosey, were not successful Thursday.

District Judge Jack Marr presided.

Copyright 2017 Victoria Advocate