2 EMS providers, infant hospitalized after carfentanil-laced heroin exposure

The EMS providers were transporting a patient when the driver became ill and had to be given naloxone


By EMS1 Staff

OWINGSVILLE, Ky. — Two EMS providers and an infant were sent to the hospital after being exposed to heroin laced with carfentanil.

WKYT reported that the crew responded to an overdose call and were transporting a patient to the hospital when the driver became sick and had to pull over, according to Bath County Emergency Management Director Jason York.

The driver was given naloxone and was transported to the hospital while a police officer finished transporting the patient in the ambulance.

After dropping off the patient, responders got a call that an infant from the same residence was also exposed to the drugs.

The infant was transported to the hospital, and a member of the crew who treated the infant soon began to feel sick and was sent to the hospital as well.

Investigators said the EMS providers and the infant were most likely exposed to airborne carfentanil-laced heroin. A full recovery is expected for everyone involved.

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2020 EMS1. All rights reserved.