Medic Mindset Podcast: Pediatric care with Dr. Peter Antevy
Rethinking EMS response to pediatric emergency care, trauma, pain management and arrests
Dr. Peter Antevy is asking paramedics to completely rethink how they take care of kids. His bio is full of innovation awards and accolades for his paradigm-shifting approach to pediatrics in emergency medicine, but he’d never tell you that. Instead, he’d want to sit down and listen to you talk about your pediatric calls and he’d seek to understand how you think on those calls.
He is a perfect guest for the Medic Mindset Podcast, because he works to understand the psychology of paramedics.
Our host, Ginger Locke, caught up with Dr. Antevy at a conference to discuss:
- The importance of staying on scene during pediatric arrests.
- Why ACLS and PALS should be taught together.
- How to change your mindset to be in the zone with pediatrics.
- The principles of the Handtevy Method.
- Length-based tapes, cognitive offloading and the pre-arrival period.
- Why his medics want to run pediatric calls.
- The process of getting to closure.
- Just Culture.
- Why he thinks he latches on to really big problems.
- Questions from the Medic Mindset Facebook group about: