logo for print

Australian EMS agency fined over $314K for paramedic's fatal overdose

The agency pleaded guilty to violating the Occupational Health and Safety Act by failing to properly keep track of their fentanyl and morphine stock


By EMS1 Staff

VICTORIA, Australia — An Australian EMS agency pleaded guilty to violating the Occupational Health and Safety Act and fined over $314,000 in a paramedic’s fatal overdose.

SafetyCulture.com reported that the EMS agency was fined for failing to keep track of their stock of morphine and fentanyl after a paramedic was found dead by his wife and son at the station.

Officials said fentanyl and morphine were found in his system and he died of an overdose.

Prosecutors argued that the agency put the paramedic at risk by not reducing access to the drugs and did not conduct audits on their receipts, administration and disposal of the painkillers every three months like they were supposed to.

The agency changed its drug management policy after the incident, and now regularly checks records for unusual activity.

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Thanks! You've been successfully signed up for the EMS1 Member Newsletter!

Copyright © 2018 EMS1.com. All rights reserved.