Is your ambulance partner safe at home?
Our concern for personal and partner safety needs to extend from scene safety to off-duty safety from intimate partner violence and abuse
EMT Ashley Scott, allegedly shot to death by her husband — also an EMT — is my most recent reminder of Kelly Wing-Schmidt.
Throughout a 12-hour shift with paramedic student Kelly, I asked her all sorts of questions:
- What is the pediatric dose of diphenhydramine for anaphylaxis?
- When will you want to recheck this patient's vital signs?
- Are you worried about this woman's blood pressure? Why not?
- Should we assist this patient off the floor or do we need to lift her?
- Why do you want to be a paramedic?
- Do you want to get a job here?
I always enjoyed having students on the ambulance and really embraced the role of instructor and mentor. Kelly answered my questions and asked me just as many questions. She was eager to learn and I was thrilled to help.