Patient critical after lighting hospital gown on fire

According to the fire chief, the patient burned half of her torso in the incident

By FireRescue1 Staff

WILLIAMSPORT, Pa. — A patient is in critical condition after lighting her hospital gown on fire with a lighter.

WNEP reported that firefighters responded to the call after medical professionals were burned trying to save the patient, who was being treated for physical and mental issues.

 Two employees who tried to extinguish the fire were burned on their hands and wrists.

"That was their patient under their care and until they got up to the point where they got burned, they were doing that, they were still taking care of that patient. My hat's off to them," Williamsport Fire Chief Todd Chief Heckman said.

The fire was contained to the room and all employees are recovering.

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Patient Safety

Sponsored by

Copyright © 2019 All rights reserved.