How to Increase Your Paramedic Salary
How Do I Increase My Paramedic Salary?
Feeling stuck, in a rut with your current economic state? With today’s economy, it can be a struggle to make ends meet. Between mortgages and rent, car payments, insurance payments, grocery bills, electricity bills, loan payments, etc., the list of accounts payable can seem endless! By the end of paying monthly bills, it’s a surprise if there’s any left over for you. However, with the help of EMS1, there are opportunities to increase your paramedic salary.
Seven Easy Tips to Increasing your paramedic salary:
- Ask your HR or supervisor if your agency uses a GS Scale. If so, check out the current paramedic pay scale increase already practiced.
- Attend training courses. Increase your knowledge and you will most likely increase your paramedic salary. Find training courses available nationwide at EMS1.com.
- Request a review. Schedule a review with your supervisor at 6, 9, and 12 month intervals. Whether or not you eventually get a raise, you will have a clear idea of your strengths and weaknesses, making a paramedic salary increase more likely.
- Join associations. Involvement as a paramedic outside of the station shows commitment to public safety nationwide. Find a paramedic association that’s right for you at Homeland1.com.
- Negotiate. What do your supervisors need and or want that would entice them to pay you more? There may be opportunities beyond what’s being offered. You may be required to work less appealing shifts, but your paramedic salary increase might be worth it.
- Add credentials. Whether it’s through attending a weekend seminar or going back to school for another degree, adding credentials is a great way to increase your pay. Find a degree that tailors to your schedule and furthers your career, paramedic salary, and knowledge at EMS1.com.
- Research paramedic salaries. If you don’t feel you’re receiving a competitive paramedic salary, visit sites like EMS1.com to view other paramedic salaries. If you see that you’re not receiving a competitive paramedic salary, don’t delay and apply for other paramedic opportunities.
EMS1: Recent job listings from across the nation
NREMT.org: The national standard for certification in the EMS practice
Paramedic.com: A complete resource for EMS professionals
EMS.gov: Information and updates on federal EMS initiatives
NAEMT.org: Advocacy, education and resources for EMTs
Paramedic Salary Tips:
Know your boundaries. Check paramedic salary resources before requesting a paramedic salary increase. Visit indeed.com for paramedic salary industry averages or check salary.com, payscale.com, and careerbuilder.com for paramedic salary calculators.
Be persistent and patient. The time period for paramedic salary increases can take some time. However, be proactive and don’t be afraid to contact your supervisor at three month intervals for a review.
Stay optimistic! If you’re unable reach a higher paramedic salary, there’s still hope. Sites like SideGig.com specialize in finding paramedic and other law enforcement official side jobs to accompany their full time positions.