Photographer dies after falling into chimney

The man was trying to take a photo of the Chicago skyline


CHICAGO — A photographer trying to take pictures atop a Michigan Avenue hotel died Thursday morning after falling into a smokestack. Fire crews cut a hole in the chimney about 42 stories above Michigan Avenue, before freeing the 23-year-old and taking him to the hospital, officials said.

He was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 5:15 a.m., according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office. The victim was identified as Nicholas Wieme, of 4820 N. Albany Av., according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office. He was originally from Pipestone, Minn., which is located in the southwest portion of the state near South Dakota.

Police and fire crews responded to the InterContinental Hotel at 505 North Michigan Avenue at 1:09 a.m. and found a person had fallen into a smokestack while attempting to take photos on the roof of the hotel, Fire Media Affairs said. The person was in an area above a 42nd-floor balcony that is closed off from the general public.

Full story: Man Dies After Falling Into Chimney Of Mag Mile Hotel

  1. Tags
  2. Safety
  3. Trauma

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Get EMS news in your inbox

Thanks! You've been successfully signed up for the EMS1 Member Newsletter!

Copyright © 2019 All rights reserved.