MMA star doubles as firefighter, paramedic
Chad "The Grave Digger" Griggs has been a firefighter for over a decade
MONTREAL — Professional mixed martial artist Chad Griggs says when he is not fighting, he's a full-time firefighter and paramedic.
Griggs, 34 who goes by the moniker "Grave Digger," has been fighting professionally since 2005 and has been with the Tucson (Ariz.) Fire Department for 12 years, according to the Canadian Press.
"It's a great career," Griggs said.
He was recently promoted to a paramedic and says that he makes his training fit his demanding scheduling by trading a lot of shits with his brothers and fitting in mini-workouts at the firehouse.
Griggs is not the only UFC fighter to double as a firefighter, with at least five other pros doing the same.
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of EMS1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
EMS1 Top 5
- Why no one will ever understand you like your EMS partner
- From EMS provider to taxi driver: The abuse of the 911 system
- Quiz: How accurately can you triage 10 MCI patients?
- Suit: Ambulance company denied rest breaks to paramedics, EMTs
- Paramedic severely hurt in helicopter crash fired from flight position