logo for print

Officials: Preschool failed to call 911 in toddler’s allergic reaction death

The FDNY said the school called three-year-old Elijah Silvera’s mother, not first responders, when the boy had an allergic reaction to a grilled cheese sandwich


By EMS1 Staff

NEW YORK — Officials said a preschool failed to call 911 when a toddler suffered a fatal allergic reaction to a grilled cheese sandwich.

ABC11 reported that the preschool called three-year-old Elijah Silvera’s mother, not emergency responders, when the boy suffered a severe allergic reaction to dairy and went into anaphylactic shock.

Silvera’s mother rushed him to the hospital, where he later died.

"He was given a grilled cheese sandwich by an adult at the pre-K, despite them knowing and having documented that he has a severe allergy to dairy,” a family friend wrote on a GoFundMe page.

"We do believe that this is an isolated incident," New York State Early Childhood Council member Lorelei Vargas said. "But there is an active investigation and we hope to learn more."

The GoFundMe page is meant to help pay for an independent autopsy.

"At this moment, it is unclear where responsibility for Elijah's death will fall between the pre-K and the hospital itself," the page says. "We want to find out exactly where, if any, breakdowns may have occurred at either the school or the hospital."

 
3-Year-Boy Boy Allergic To Dairy Dies After Eating Grilled Che...

3-year-old Elijah Silvera suffered a severe allergic reaction and died after he was given a grilled cheese sandwich at school even though his family said educators knew he had a dairy allergy. More: http://cbsloc.al/2iGE2kU

Posted by 1010 WINS on Thursday, November 9, 2017

 

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2017 EMS1.com. All rights reserved.