NAEMT Announces PHTLS Online Continuing Education
Clinton, Miss. — The National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians (NAEMT) is pleased to introduce Prehospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS) Online Continuing Education as part of its world-renowned EMS continuing education. PHTLS Online offers flexibility to EMS students and includes:
- Educational videos and animations
- Interactive exercises
- Reading assignments that direct students to the related content in the PHTLS Seventh Edition textbook
- Online feedback for self-assessment questions in each module to measure student comprehension
- A post-test at the end of the final module to check content retention
PHTLS Online provides students with the opportunity to learn at their own pace; access online content anytime, anywhere; save time away from their jobs; and gain knowledge of state-of-theart, evidence-based PHTLS trauma treatment and guidelines, proven to reduce morbidity and mortality. To best meet the needs of students, there are two educational pathways:
- Path 1 – Independent learners can earn 8 hours of CECBEMS continuing education credit by successfully completing all modules of PHTLS Online. No PHTLS card is issued.
- Path 2 – For those who need a PHTLS card – PHTLS cards are issued upon successful completion of the full 16-hour PHTLS course. NAEMT offers a two-day PHTLS Hybrid course which includes eight hours of PHTLS Online content and eight hours in the classroom. Those who successfully complete both the online and classroom components earn 16 hours of CECBEMS continuing education credit and are issued a PHTLS certificate and card.
“We're very excited about the new online PHTLS option,” says Will Chapleau, EMT-P, RN, TNS, Chair of the PHTLS Committee. “We're hoping to reach EMS practitioners all over the world who might not have the resources or access to live courses, and also provide an option to our course sites that will allow them to focus on critical thinking exercises and skills. I'm sure this is just the beginning of what will prove to be a significant enhancement to our capabilities.”
PHTLS is the world’s premier trauma continuing education course and is authored by NAEMT's PHTLS Committee in cooperation with the Committee on Trauma of the American College of Surgeons. The required textbook for the course is Prehospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS) Seventh Edition, a comprehensive, internationally renowned resource for learning basic and advanced prehospital trauma skills and concepts. Fully revised and updated, the Seventh Edition provides state-of-the-art, evidence-based trauma treatment and guidelines and is an ideal tool for studying EMT or paramedic skills and a helpful general reference on trauma assessment and management.
To learn more about PHTLS Online, go to https://www.centrelearn.com/login_phtls.asp. All PHTLS courses are available only through NAEMT. Visit the Education section of the NAEMT web site (http://www.naemt.org/education/PHTLS/phtls_a.aspx) to locate a course, e-mail email@example.com, or call 800-346-2368.
More than 32,000 members strong, NAEMT is the nation’s only professional association representing all EMS practitioners, including paramedics, emergency medical technicians, first responders and other professionals working in prehospital emergency medicine. NAEMT members work in all sectors of EMS, including government service agencies, fire departments, hospital-based ambulance services, private companies, industrial and special operations settings, and in the military.