Man's fatal aluminum phosphide overdose contaminates NM hospital

He consumed 1.5 pounds of the rat poison which releases phosphine gas when it comes into contact with water; Hazmat teams and National Guard provided decon


KOAT

TAOS, N.M. — A 36-year-old man died at a Taos Hospital after consuming 1.5 pounds of aluminum phosphide, a rat poison that becomes a deadly gas called phosphine when it comes in contact with water.

"It turns into a strong acid as it touches the inside of the lungs," said Dr. Per Bjorkman, an emergency room physician. "It can put the lungs out of commission."

It all started when the man was brought straight to the emergency room by a family member after ingesting the rat poison doctors say is illegal to buy in the United States without a license.

Read Full Story: Man overdoses, vomit contaminates Taos hospital

 

Request product info from top Rescue Gear and Tools companies

Thank You!

By submitting your information, you agree to be contacted by the selected vendor(s) and that the data you submit is exempt from Do Not Sell My Personal Information requests. View our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2022 EMS1. All rights reserved.