Brought to you by Limmer Education
10 tips to succeed on the NREMT exam
Successful EMT and paramedic students can apply these tips on the first day of class and eventually use them as EMS professionals
This is a list that provides 10 habits of people who are successful on the NREMT exam. I compiled this list, which applies to all levels of EMS certification, from many years of teaching and working with students.
You may be surprised to find that many of these things begin on the first day of class — and don’t totally rely on end-of-class cramming. A lot of other NREMT success tips focus solely on exam preparation. For some students, that is just too late.
It is also worth noting that these habits of successful NREMT candidates also promote more thoughtful and clinically astute practice. I’ve never believed that teaching to the test and teaching for practice were dramatically different.
Students who succeed on the NREMT do these things:
1. Take their course seriously from day one
2. Read their book and do homework
3. Learn in concepts and broad strokes—not simple facts
4. Ask questions in class and make sure they understand the material
5. Realize that the material they learn applies to the exam and the street—not just the exam
6. Study in a way that make them think and apply, not just remember
7. Figure out where they are weakest and focus their exam preparation on the right areas
8. Get a good night’s sleep the night before the exam
9. Keep a clear head when they sit down at the testing center
10. Believe passing is the only option