logo for print

3 Ohio teens dead from carbon monoxide; 4th in critical condition

All 4 children in cardiac arrest when firefighters arrived; Relative reports kids had been 'sick for days'


By Associated Press

TROY, Ohio — The third of four children exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide from a furnace in a home has died.

Thirteen-year-old Jakia Jones died on Sunday, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Emergency personnel carry a person out on a stretcher from a home in Troy, Ohio on Friday, Feb. 27, 2015. Two teenage sisters died and two other children were hospitalized after a relative found all four unresponsive from a suspected carbon monoxide leak in the house, officials said. (AP Photo/Piqua Daily Call, Mike Ullery)
Emergency personnel carry a person out on a stretcher from a home in Troy, Ohio on Friday, Feb. 27, 2015. Two teenage sisters died and two other children were hospitalized after a relative found all four unresponsive from a suspected carbon monoxide leak in the house, officials said. (AP Photo/Piqua Daily Call, Mike Ullery)

Her cousins 14-year-old Dionanna Bishop and 13-year-old Dejah Bishop died on Friday after a relative found them unconscious inside a home in Troy, 20 miles north of Dayton in southeast Ohio. Jakia's 8-year-old brother, Jahari Ward, was in critical condition.

Preliminary autopsy results released Saturday indicate Dionanna and Dejah, who were sisters, died ofcarbon monoxide poisoning, the Dayton Daily News reported. Police have said a furnace caused the leak ofcarbon monoxide, an odorless and colorless gas created when some fuels, such as natural gas, don't burn completely.

A relative who found the children and called 911 told police the children had been sick for days. The children lived with their grandmother, who was in a hospital on Friday being treated for pneumonia.

An attorney for the rented home's owners, Joseph and Kathy Caldwell, said they weren't aware of any furnace problems and didn't know that children lived there. Attorney James Ambrose told the newspaper the Caldwells owned the home for 20 years and made repairs whenever they were needed. He said the Caldwells were "devastated" by what happened.

Police Capt. Chris Anderson said his department will confer with prosecutors to determine if there is any criminal liability.

Four firefighters were treated for carbon monoxide exposure. The children were unconscious and in cardiac arrest when firefighters arrived.

Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Request product info from top CO Screening companies

Thank You!

Thank You!

By submitting your information, you agree to be contacted by the selected vendor(s).

Join the discussion

Brand focus

Sponsored content
Triple Aim Initiative makes measuring patient satisfaction a key step for accreditation

Triple Aim Initiative makes measuring patient satisfaction a key step for accreditation

The Institute for Healthcare Improvement’s Triple Aim Initiative establishes patient satisfaction as an important benchmark for accreditation

Copyright © 2017 EMS1.com. All rights reserved.