Former EMT gets $55K snake-bite bill
The uninsured former medic was floored to learn it cost more for a snake bite than it does for some open-heart surgeries
WASHINGTON — A former EMT pulled over along George Washington Parkway for a breath of fresh air was bitten by a copperhead snake — and then slapped with a $55,000 hospital bill.
Jules Weiss stopped by an overlook for a breather when she felt a strange sensation.
Within an hour, her foot started to balloon, turning a "grayish" color. Weiss made her way to an emergency room in Bethesda, Md. where she stayed for more than 18 hours — getting three IV bags of anti-venom into her foot. As if the experience wasn't scarring enough, Weiss received a hospital bill for nearly $55,000.
Full Story: Snake bite victim gets $55K hospital bill