EMERGENCY MEDICAL TECHNICIAN (BASIC)
Emergency Medical Technician - Basic
Oklahoma City Fire Department - Demo Account - Oklahoma CIty, Oklahoma
Sep 12, 2023
- Application Deadline:
- Oct 6, 2023
- Entry Level:
- $$17.39 - 26.94 annual
This position is located in the Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Transport division of the Oklahoma City Fire Department and will be responsible for field patient care and operation of a patient transport ambulance. The Emergency Medical Technician (Basic) will maintain high levels of patient care and clinical performance. Medical and clinical performance will be in accordance with documented protocols, practices, and Medical Control Board directives; in the best interest of the patient; and confined to the scope of practice commensurate with EMT level licensure. Essential job functions include: performing basic first aid patient care for metro area residents; conducting self in an ethical, professional manner; implementing directives issued by Field Operations Supervisor (FOS) and/or EMS management; following medical care practices as documented in medical protocols and as mandated by the Medical Control Board; providing overall care and safe transportation of patients assigned to the crew by EMS Dispatch; understanding and adhering to all probationary recommendations, remedial training recommendations, and suggestions for improvement of patient care and job standards; (when assigned as an Emergency Vehicle Operator) being responsible for and in control of the assigned ambulance at all times and in accordance with approved policy on safe and efficient ambulance operation; being responsible for the care, use, and appearance of assigned ambulance and equipment; being familiar with all equipment placement on unit and having a complete, accurate documented inventory of all equipment; reporting to assigned shift in a timely fashion as dictated by policy; being physically and mentally ready to respond to all calls within response time standards as dictated by policy; immediately reporting to appropriate authority any malfunctions and/or damage to any equipment or ambulances whether the crew was using or operating the equipment at the time of the damage or malfunction; submitting a verbal and written report of any injuries sustained to self, co-workers, or patients to appropriate authority and submit to follow-up procedures as dictated by policy; following guidelines and standards as set forth by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and Exposure Control policies and procedures; supporting, properly interpreting, and implementing any policies, protocols, standard operating procedures, philosophies, or other directives as set forth by the Fire Department or other regulatory agencies; conforming to personal appearance standards; assisting in daily fire station duties when not engaged in emergency response; and participating in EMS-related Fire Department training and activities when not engaged in emergency response.
· Possession of a high school diploma, GED, or equivalent.
· Possession of Oklahoma State Department of Health EMT licensure.
· Possession of National Registry EMT Registration.
· Knowledge of Oklahoma City metro area geography.
· Skill in oral and written communication.
· Skill in organizing information.
· Ability to accurately document incident information.
· Ability to think logically.
· Ability to operate both the EMS vehicle and to assist others who are operating the EMS vehicle, in a manner that enables arriving at the requested patient location in a safe and timely manner.
· Ability to maintain clinical performance by meeting continuing education requirements and maintaining performance skills through education and practice.
· Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
· Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in non-standard and standardized situations.
· Ability to think and act in emergencies. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, physicians, nurses, other allied healthcare professionals, and public safety agencies.
· Willingness to assume responsibility for confidential information.
· Possession of a valid driver’s license (Operator).
- Age: 18 or older
- Education: Possession of a high school diploma, GED, or equivalent. Possession of Oklahoma State Department of Health EMT licensure. Possession of National Registry EMT Registration.
- Experience: Emergency Medical Services
· Regularly work in a high-stress environment.
· Regularly work in outside weather conditions.
· Frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, extreme cold and extreme heat.
· Occasionally work near moving mechanical parts.
· The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
· Regularly required to use the hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear.
· Frequently required to sit, stand, and walk.
· Occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; taste and smell.
· Must lift in conjunction with the partner or assist in moving and/or balance up to 250 pounds and occasionally lift, move and/or balance up to 350 pounds.
· Must have close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
How to Apply
_To apply for employment with the City of Oklahoma City, you will need a valid email address. You can search for jobs here [https://fa-etyr-saasfaprod1.fa.ocs.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/OKCFD_](https://fa-etyr-saasfaprod1.fa.ocs.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/OKCFD)
Once you find a job you would like to apply for (Emergency Medical Technician-Basic), click on the vacancy announcement. Scroll all the way down until you see the "Apply Now" button and click on it. To start your application, you must enter a valid email address and click "Next>".
Now you can complete all required fields and click, "Submit" at the bottom of the application. You may include attachments such as resumes, cover letters, forms, transcripts, or other professional licenses, etc., with your online application.
Note: It is recommended to draft your answers to the job questions in a separate Word document, so you can save and edit your work. You are unable to save your work in the application.
Only completed applications will be considered.