Extended Care Paramedic (Community Paramedic)
EasCare Ambulance - Dorchester, Massachusetts
- Application Deadline:
Extended Care Paramedic Job Opportunity Boston, MA We are proud to announce that EasCare Ambulance has been granted a Special Project Waiver by the Office of Emergency Medical Service to initiate a Extended Care Paramedic Program within the State of Massachusetts. We have been lucky to find a tremendous partner, Commonwealth Care Alliance (CCA) to bring this program to fruition. This program will allow EasCare and CCA to fund and train four paramedics as Extended Care Paramedics (ECP). The expanded role of a certified Paramedic will create a profound difference where they work, for the patients they treat and the Healthcare providers they interact with. ECPs will work as a solo non-response Paramedic in the Greater Boston area. Patients will benefit from the ECP’s ability to assist with overcoming many of the current barriers in healthcare; they will serve as advocates/ collaborators/ facilitators and coordinators to a new type of out of hospital care. ECPs will provide advanced care including: advanced assessment, creating a treatment plan with the patient’s healthcare team, antibiotic administration, treating without transporting (Diabetes, HTN, CHF, Infections, Cellulitis, Wound Care, Behavioral), point of care testing, remote access to the patient’s Electronic Medical Record and more. The ECP is expected to execute independent critical thinking skills, in order to deliver appropriate care that is consistent with ECP’s new role of practice and delegated medical acts with direct medical oversight. As part of patient care, the ECP will also determine the most appropriate additional health care resources required if any, in continuing the patient’s treatment. They will liaison with medical oversight physicians, patient’s healthcare providers and hospital personnel in implementing these decisions. Commonwealth Care Alliance currently sends Nurse Practitioners, Physician Assistants and Physicians to patient homes during regular business hours in an effort to decrease Emergency Department visits and hospital admissions. CCA, partnering with EasCare is now expanding this service into the evening hours with ECPs. For the past ten years, CCA has been realizing a vision of primary medical care that’s far broader than the traditional 20-minute visit to a doctor in an office. This exciting opportunity will provide Paramedics with:
- Paid Training. There will be 150 hours of didactic and 150 hours of clinical time with physicians in hospitals, clinics and private homes.
- 100% CQI by physicians
- Participation with future program development
- Participation in a new healthcare model
- Assistance with research for publishing
Extended Care Paramedic Job Description This position will promote a positive working environment in the field incorporating EasCare’s mission, vision, strategies and goals under the direction of the Mobile Health Services Director; the Extended Care Paramedic (ECP) will work alone and is responsible for direct patient care providing advanced assessment, stabilization and interventions working under protocols approved by the program’s Medical Director. As part of the patient care plan, the ECP is expected to execute independent critical thinking skills while collaborating with the patient’s healthcare team. Job Title: Extended Care Paramedic (ECP) Position Reports to: Mobile Health Services Director Qualifications:
Duties of this position include but are not limited to the following:
- 5 years of experience as a Paramedic with Interfacility Transfer Experience
- Evidence of a commitment to professional and personal development.
- Exhibits strong leadership, critical thinking, collaborative, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate well and promote positive interpersonal relationships with patients, families and health care professionals.
- Demonstrated ability for managing competing priorities.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills including conflict resolution.
- Enthusiastic and innovative
- Ability to work independently, as well as a team member.
- Demonstrates a commitment to clinical research that supports the development of best practices and evidence based protocols
- Computer skills
- Superior phone and customer service skills.
- Strong initiative and follow through skills.
- Clean Driving record with strong navigation experience
- Advanced experience (CCT, Cath Lab, Organ Transplant, ER, etc.) HIGHLY ADVANTAGEOUS
- Teaching credentials HIGHLY ADVANTAGEOUS
- Delivers appropriate patient care within the Paramedic’s scope of practice.
- Exercises excellent customer service and communication skills at all times.
- Performs advanced patient assessment, stabilization, and intervention skills, working under standards of care and the protocols approved by the Medical Director.
- Performs advanced skills such as delegated medical acts which are approved by the Medical Director.
- Demonstrates a comprehensive knowledge of all communications equipment and ensures professional interaction with all recipients.
- Participates in the completion of an accurate Electronic Medical Care Record (EMR) within required time frames. Will complete all other work-related documentation in a timely manner.
- Ensures that all required medical supplies are present and performs equipment and system checks prior to shift commencement. Replaces equipment and supplies upon completion of assignments.
- Maintains and is accountable for their own professional competencies through participation in continuing education sessions, successful completion of required skills training, and clinical exposure under the oversight and direction of the Medical Director.
- Ensures ongoing development and maintenance of own knowledge, skills and abilities through self-evaluation, feedback from colleagues and supervisors and identification of learning needs.
- Displays capability to make decisions and takes initiative, as needed.
- Other duties as the program dictates and evolves.