Ind. paramedic hospitalized for possible opioid exposure
Hobart Fire Department paramedic Ron Reed Jr. said he was trying to intubate a man who was suffering an overdose when the man coughed in his face
By EMS1 Staff
LAKE STATION, Ind. — A woman faces felony charges after a paramedic was hospitalized for possible opioid exposure while responding to an overdose call.
NWI Times reported that Hobart Fire Department paramedic Ron Reed Jr. was in an ambulance treating a man who had been given naloxone for an overdose when the man coughed and snorted on his face.
Reed fell unconscious after returning to the station and was transported to the hospital after being administered naloxone. He said he thought he had been exposed to a powerful synthetic opioid, such as fentanyl.
At the time of the incident, police found paraphernalia commonly associated with crack cocaine in the mobile home where the man was found, as well as an off-white powdery substance that appeared to be heroin.
Jennifer Golden, who was inside of the mobile home where the man who overdosed was found, was allegedly belligerent and yelling at police at the time of the incident, according to records.
She was charged with possession of methamphetamine, a Level 6 felony. The man who overdosed could also face charges if he survives.
Reed is expected to return to work next week.