12-year-old's 911 call saves brother from choking
She knew what to do from a health and safety class, and sang "Frozen" songs to her 2-year-old sibling to keep him calm
WEST JORDAN, Utah — The quick-thinking and calmness of a 12-year-old girl saved her 2-year-old brother. Kristy Pedersen said the incident occurred Aug. 12 around 6:45 p.m. in their West Jordan home. Pedersen said she was at an activity at their church down the street when her 9-year-old son, Matthew, came into the church and told her that 2-year-old Jayden was choking.
“My kids are a little bit prone to over-exaggeration,” she said. “Matthew running to the church to get me with one shoe on — he could only find one so he just put that one on and took off to get me. I knew something was wrong, but Jayden does kind of have a hard time swallowing and he’s choked before, but he’s been able to get it out. I just kind of knew that this one was different and we needed to run.”
Shaylee Pedersen, 12, was baby-sitting her two younger brothers at the time of the incident and she said she was a little nervous when Jayden started choking on his dinner, but she remained calm. Shaylee told Matthew to run and get their mother from the church and she quickly called 911.
Read full story: 12-year-old calls 911, saves toddler from choking death
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of EMS1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
EMS1 Top 5
- Why no one will ever understand you like your EMS partner
- From EMS provider to taxi driver: The abuse of the 911 system
- Quiz: How accurately can you triage 10 MCI patients?
- Suit: Ambulance company denied rest breaks to paramedics, EMTs
- Paramedic severely hurt in helicopter crash fired from flight position