Home > Topics > Safety
August 05, 2014

EMTs smash car widow, mistake doll for lifeless baby

The owner's 2-year-old granddaughter left the realistic-looking doll in a car seat and EMTs broke the glass thinking time was of the essence

By Gail Smith
Orlando Sentinel

HOBOKEN, N.J. — Better safe than sorry: EMTs in Hoboken, N.J., smashed a sport utility vehicle window this week after seeing what they thought was a baby locked in the hot car — but it was a baby doll, CBS New York reports.

Witnesses called 911 to report a baby inside the vehicle, the report said. Luz Kitty Mieles returned to her car to find shattered glass, apologies and promises that the city will pay for the damage, the report said. Her 2-year-old granddaughter left the doll in a child safety seat.

“The guys that were on the ambulance are taking a beating by their co-workers, but it’s all in good fun,” Thomas Molta, president of the ambulance service, told the station. “But again, I’d rather err on the side of caution. You can replace a window. You can’t replace a life.”

Full story: Medics shatter car window to 'rescue' baby doll

Comments
Dominick Sandelli Dominick Sandelli Tuesday, August 05, 2014 11:12:01 AM What difference does it make David?
Douglas Fee Douglas Fee Tuesday, August 05, 2014 11:16:34 AM That doll doesn't look realistic at all to me personally...
Kathy Beilsmith Kathy Beilsmith Tuesday, August 05, 2014 11:17:36 AM Umm...David, I am a volunteer and my husband is a paid firefighter. ..either one of us would have done the same if we thought a child's life was in danger. Would you rather that they had done nothing? I'm just thankful that it was only a doll. Like the president of the ambulance service said, you can replace a window. You can't replace a life.
Zachary Ball Zachary Ball Tuesday, August 05, 2014 11:24:03 AM If you was a firefighter or EMT you would understand
John Salwatzer John Salwatzer Tuesday, August 05, 2014 11:31:35 AM Dumb ass!
Dena Richard Dena Richard Tuesday, August 05, 2014 11:46:58 AM Good job better safe than sorry!!!!
Kelley Reynolds Kelley Reynolds Tuesday, August 05, 2014 11:51:37 AM I thought so too at first, but the shine of the plastic skin through a window I think would look like glistening skin from sweat.
Dovid B. Kaplan Dovid B. Kaplan Tuesday, August 05, 2014 11:59:21 AM They absolutely did the right thing.
Danielle Johnson Lewis Danielle Johnson Lewis Tuesday, August 05, 2014 12:32:54 PM Hey David, did you know volleys and full timers go through the same training do the only difference is a pay check?
Courtney Elizabeth Courtney Elizabeth Tuesday, August 05, 2014 12:35:24 PM If you work EMS then you'd understand. What happened if that was a baby? Then this crap would be about how no one is vigilant enough. Seems like a double edged sword.
Sanford Frasier Sanford Frasier Tuesday, August 05, 2014 12:55:06 PM Our job is all about the "what if". I personally applaud what they did . . . Way to go my brothers!
Mike Maxwell Coward Mike Maxwell Coward Tuesday, August 05, 2014 3:11:13 PM As a paid EMT and a VOLUNTEER EMT I applaud these EMTS for what they did. It does not matter what you get in return. Had i been walking down the street even off duty I would have stopped and done the same thing. Its all to save a life.
Michael Deering Michael Deering Tuesday, August 05, 2014 3:38:55 PM I would have done the same thing. I also agree, you can replace a window but not a life. Thank god it was not a real baby, but again, I agree with their decisions and for people who did call 911. The EMTs would not have broken the window if it wasnt for the calls coming in about it.
Brian Brixon Brian Brixon Tuesday, August 05, 2014 4:28:32 PM this reminds me of a Perception episode (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3598110/?ref_=ttep_ep10)
George Beltz George Beltz Tuesday, August 05, 2014 4:55:17 PM If I would have thought it was real, I would break the window too.
Kevin Fields Kevin Fields Tuesday, August 05, 2014 5:22:44 PM it's appropriately sized, clothes similarly to how babies are dressed, and the biggest identifying feature is the skin. Now look at the circumstances: Hot day in the car, a baby would be sweating initially, then appear dehydrated. Add that to likely tinted windows that most SUVs have, the initial call stating it was, in fact, a baby, the fact it was in a car seat, and and the need to act in a speedy manner in these circumstances, I completely understand why they didn't identify it as a doll.
Robert Gift Robert Gift Tuesday, August 05, 2014 5:25:52 PM Could not discern that it was a doll? Embarrassing.
Bobby Bryan Bobby Bryan Tuesday, August 05, 2014 6:16:35 PM "were"
Mario Newman Abatiello Mario Newman Abatiello Tuesday, August 05, 2014 7:03:40 PM All I can think of is backdraft
Sturgis Kidder Sturgis Kidder Tuesday, August 05, 2014 7:20:33 PM Absolutely they did the right thing!!
Linda VanRysdam Linda VanRysdam Tuesday, August 05, 2014 7:58:21 PM Yes they absolutely did the right thing!!!
Robert Skelton Robert Skelton Tuesday, August 05, 2014 9:30:11 PM Absolutely they did the right thing awesome
Renee FroggieEcdd Moore Renee FroggieEcdd Moore Tuesday, August 05, 2014 11:23:05 PM Better to be safe than sorry I as an EMTI/FF2 would have done the same thing. When in doubt...........
Renee FroggieEcdd Moore Renee FroggieEcdd Moore Tuesday, August 05, 2014 11:25:39 PM I agree with all the brothers and sisters who have posted.I would have done it in a heartbeat if I thought it would save a life.and I would hope that someone would do it for my child as well.too many babies being left in hot cars........and I do both paid and volunteer and proud of it.
Renee FroggieEcdd Moore Renee FroggieEcdd Moore Tuesday, August 05, 2014 11:27:11 PM If it had been a real baby,Either we did not get there fast enough or we did not do enough to save the baby would have been the complaint. Darned if we do n darned if we dont!
Ryan Thibodeau Ryan Thibodeau Wednesday, August 06, 2014 5:12:55 AM "You can replace a window. You can’t replace a life."
Jeffery Scarpino Jeffery Scarpino Wednesday, August 06, 2014 6:19:51 AM So u telling. From whatvive read that most of you would. Not of done. The same thing. What a shame
Courtney Elizabeth Courtney Elizabeth Wednesday, August 06, 2014 6:23:34 AM Renee Froggie Moore EXACTLY! This is the thing some people don't understand about this field.
Matt McMuffin Matt McMuffin Wednesday, August 06, 2014 7:05:30 AM Gotta admit, that doll is pretty lifelike, and it doesn't help that it's dressed in baby clothes and the face is red. I pobably would have broken the window myself had I seen that.
Dustin Woodworth Dustin Woodworth Wednesday, August 06, 2014 10:06:00 AM Good job emts ftw
Skip Goulet Skip Goulet Wednesday, August 06, 2014 12:30:46 PM The idea of people leaving kids in cars has bloomed to monstrous proportions. But you also see a lot of people over-reacting, too, calling the cops when "mom" just runs inside the 7-11 for a coke or something. I hear on the scanner quite a bit lately, even this morning for that matter, of people being arrested and CPS called out.
Kevin Webb Kevin Webb Wednesday, August 06, 2014 12:43:16 PM Keep them away from my work van.
Douglas Fee Douglas Fee Thursday, August 07, 2014 4:26:10 PM Did you know that between 60 an 70 percent of all volunteers have absolutely zero formal training and education towards the tasks they face on a call...yes volunteers "train" at their dept's and some do go to classes and get certifications but most dont. 100% of all career responders have not only the dept training but also professional licensure and certifications from formal training and education in order to do the job.
Danielle Johnson Lewis Danielle Johnson Lewis Thursday, August 07, 2014 5:16:49 PM Douglas Fee did you know that every single volley in our town has the exact same training and education as any paid person in the state. My husband but only went to school but also trans numerous hours a week to keep up to date on everything. You assume because a person is unpaid that they are uneducated. Well sir, you are wrong.
Douglas Fee Douglas Fee Thursday, August 07, 2014 5:49:55 PM Not at all what I assume...also read what I wrote again, most, not all volunteers are untrained. That's also not an assumption, it's a fact. Just because your area or your dept is well trained doesn't mean that the majority is.
Danielle Johnson Lewis Danielle Johnson Lewis Thursday, August 07, 2014 5:50:28 PM Douglas Fee also, more than half of the US is vol. Without the guys working for free, people would to without protection.
Douglas Fee Douglas Fee Thursday, August 07, 2014 6:04:59 PM Yep, more than half the dept's are volunteer. And why aren't they all volunteers? Because there are places that have a high enough call volume and require a high enough level of training that they require 24/7 protection from a career dept. I'm not hating on volunteers, like every other paid guy I know i was a volunteer for years first. The fact is that it's the natural progression of things to go from volunteer to trained volunteer to career and then retirement if we are lucky enough. If you're trained and so awesome then go get on at a career dept. If you can't get hired or can't hack it once you get hired then shut your mouth but before you brag about your awesomeness go prove yourself...oh and don't give me that "I've fought fire so I have proven myself" crap...it's way different when you can't go home whenever you want, the sheer ability to hold a hose and put the wet stuff on the red stuff isn't proving yourself.
Danielle Johnson Lewis Danielle Johnson Lewis Thursday, August 07, 2014 6:17:01 PM Douglas Fee you aren't hating on volunteers? Delusional! You just basically said a firefighter isn't worth anything unless he's getting paid for it. I'm not even a firefighter, just the proud wife of one.. he puts on his gear and fights fires just the same as you only difference is, is that he does it to help people, you do it for a pay check. An ass chief was just killed in our area in the line of duty... that pay check doesn't make you any more real of a firefighter than my son's police badge from a retired officer makes him a cop. Get over yourself.
Douglas Fee Douglas Fee Thursday, August 07, 2014 6:27:34 PM I can assure you there isn't a career firefighter in America who does it for the pay check because that paycheck is quite small. Most career firefighters work a second full time job on an ambulance or doing construction or whatever else they know how to do plus work the 121 twenty-four hour shifts a year. That's 363 eight hour days of work in a 365 day year for regular people, plus the second job, and most make under $13 per hour and don't get OT until we hit 212 hrs in a month which is already 50+ hours more in a month than regular people work at their 40 hr a week job. Oh then there is the 100 ' s of hours of continuing education to keep our certs and licenses to keep our jobs. You don't have a clue and you think I need to get over myself??
Danielle Johnson Lewis Danielle Johnson Lewis Thursday, August 07, 2014 6:33:57 PM Douglas Fee you're right, I don't know.... silly me. Thank you firefighter for educating and pointing out my husband isn't a "real" firefighter
Douglas Fee Douglas Fee Thursday, August 07, 2014 6:39:35 PM And again, putting words in my mouth but that's ok, it's what I've come to expect from people that display your attitude, I wish your husband the best in his efforts towards your community
Danielle Johnson Lewis Danielle Johnson Lewis Thursday, August 07, 2014 6:51:28 PM Douglas Fee my mentality that volleys and full timers are equal? Yes, clearly I'm the ignorant one.
Jamie Bingham Jamie Bingham Friday, August 08, 2014 2:45:55 PM Danielle Johnson Lewis using the term "volley" doesn't sound professional an makes it sound like your in some party club. If your going to rant about being smart as anyone, then THINK about what you're writing.
Jamie Bingham Jamie Bingham Friday, August 08, 2014 2:50:07 PM just throwing this out there,,,,,,I can for the most part tell the difference between human and a doll. Makes me wonder if they kind of "knew" it was a doll but were going to prove a point (to show who ever owned the car not to do that) so they did it anyway. I hope not but seems a bit sketchy that the lifesavers can't tell the difference between resusci Annie and their girlfriends
Danielle Johnson Lewis Danielle Johnson Lewis Friday, August 08, 2014 2:50:53 PM Well, around here they are referred to as so, therefore I use such term.
James Pearson James Pearson Wednesday, August 13, 2014 4:50:33 AM Douglas Fee 60%-70%? Cite your source. I'd be interested to use it in my training sessions.
Danielle Johnson Lewis Danielle Johnson Lewis Wednesday, August 13, 2014 5:15:11 AM Pretty sure obesity is a bigger problem in firefighting than your bogus lack of training comments. Obesity is a serious problem that gets men and wellness killed because if performance issues. So before criticizing others be sure your perfect...