Boy, 9, dies after choking on a lollipop while playing at school
A girl spotted the lollipop stick in his mouth and pulled it out of his airway when the friends found him colapsed in the school gym
Akron Beacon Journal
ALLIANCE, Ohio — A 9-year-old Alliance boy apparently asphyxiated on a lollipop Friday afternoon while playing with friends in Rockhill Elementary School.
The boy, Bryce Skidmore, was in fourth grade at the school.
A 7-year-old girl spotted the lollipop stick in his mouth and pulled it out of his airway when the friends found him collapsed in the school gymnasium, the Stark County coroner’s office said.
Efforts to resuscitate the boy failed.
The friends and Bryce became separated while playing after school.
An autopsy is planned today to confirm cause of death. The preliminary cause of death is choking.
Alliance City Schools posted a statement on its website extending its sympathy to the family and friends of the boy.
“We send our heartfelt condolences and sympathy to the family of fourth-grade student, Bryce Skidmore,” the statement said in part. “After school, Bryce collapsed in the Rockhill gymnasium and was transported to Alliance Community Hospital but could not be revived.”
The district will have counselors available for students and staff on Tuesday; there is no school on Monday.
The Alliance Review newspaper reported that the boy’s parents work for the school district.
Copyright 2013 Akron Beacon Journal
|McClatchy-Tribune News Service|
All Rights Reserved