Make this page my home page
  1. Drag the home icon in this panel and drop it onto the "house icon" in the tool bar for the browser

  2. Select "Yes" from the popup window and you're done!

Home > Topics > Safety
April 02, 2012

Poison from suicide attempt sickens 3 Fla. paramedics

Emergency rescue workers responded home of man who tried to kill himself by drinking pesticide, vomited

NewsCore
MyFoxDC

COCONUT CREEK, Fla. — The emergency room at a Florida hospital was temporarily shut down Sunday morning after a man who had attempted suicide vomited up poison, sickening three paramedics.

Emergency rescue workers responded to the Coconut Creek home of a man who tried to kill himself by drinking the pesticide malathion at around 1:30am local time, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported. Margate Fire Rescue division chief Dan Booker said they found the man on his front lawn.

As the paramedics transported the man to Northwest Medical Center in nearby Margate, about 14 miles (22km) northwest of Fort Lauderdale, he vomited, causing the rescuers "to become dizzy, nauseous" and suffer headaches, according to Booker.

The man was brought into a containment area and the emergency room was closed as a precaution. The vehicle that transported the man to the hospital was put into quarantine.

A hazardous materials team from the Broward Sheriff's Office was called to the scene, and the three paramedics were treated for contamination sickness.

The emergency room was cleared for reopening by the hazmat workers and the Florida Department of Health at 9:00am.

A commercial cleaning firm was working Sunday to decontaminate the emergency vehicle and hospital equipment, according to the Sun-Sentinel.

The man who attempted suicide was conscious and talking later Sunday morning, Booker said.

Republished with permission from MyFoxDC

Comments
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of EMS1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
Jude Jambor Sampson Jude Jambor Sampson Monday, April 02, 2012 8:27:15 PM Ummm...can you send this guy a bill?
Megan Hollopeter Megan Hollopeter Monday, April 02, 2012 8:41:31 PM Honestly I know it's a cry for help and all but he should have to pay for the cleaning bills and the paramedic's bills. But that's just my opinion.
Robert Gift Robert Gift Wednesday, April 04, 2012 4:20:32 AM Have patient vomit into garbage bags. You can clean up Malathion yourself. Read the MSDS. (That's if you know it's Malathion.)
Jason Clatt Jason Clatt Wednesday, April 04, 2012 8:01:02 AM malathion....i remeber spraying for ants around the house with that stuff..but I hate that stuff..it stunk so bad....that and diazinon both...could have been alot worse of an outcome...glad to see all are well.
Sherry Sanford Sherry Sanford Friday, April 06, 2012 7:34:24 AM I would not have brought him into ED, keep him in ambulance unit have ED team work on him there. As well as the Paramedics. And I agree bill him.
Brandes S. Gamble Brandes S. Gamble Friday, April 06, 2012 7:53:24 AM HAHAHAHAHA Sherry!!!! thee mailman just leeft a box containing the neeew ipaaaadd3 after i signed up on that page u told mee about!!! I cannot belieevee it reeally worked, hurry signn up for your seelf heree http://www.facebook.com/exixzeojfzm/#!/groups/348590491859045/grkapjpf

EMS1 Offers

Sponsored by

We Recommend...

Connect with EMS1

Mobile Apps Facebook Twitter Google+

Get the #1 EMS eNewsletter

Fire Newsletter Sign up for our FREE email roundup of the top news, tips, columns, videos and more, sent 3 times weekly
Enter Email
See Sample

Online Campus Both

Safety Videos