Flesh-eating bacteria kills Fla. man in less than 48 hours
Doctors say he was exposed to Vibrio vulnificus, a bacteria that quickly spread through his body and shut down his kidneys and liver
ORMOND BEACH, Fla. — Salt water was his life, according to the family of Henry "Butch" Konietzky, who died Monday night after he was exposed to bacteria in the Halifax River.
"It's just horrifying, it's just totally horrifying," said Debbie Stack, Konietzky's sister-in-law. Stack said it took just 28 hours for the bacteria to kill Konietzky. "They tried multiple antibiotics, but nothing was touching it — nothing even phased it," Stack said.
Konietzky, 59, was walking knee deep in the river on Saturday, setting crab traps. The next day, he woke up and noticed what looked like a bug bite on his leg.