6 injured in Calif. medical lab acid spill
All six suffered minor injuries; one, who suffered from nausea, eye irritation and headaches, requested to be transported for further evaluation
GLENDALE, Calif. — Six people suffered minor injuries Monday when an acid spilled inside a lab at a medical office building on the Glendale Adventist Medical Center campus, officials said.
One of the six people, who suffered from nausea, eye irritation and headaches, requested to be transported to the nearby hospital for further medical evaluation, according to Brandy Villanueva, a Glendale Fire Department spokeswoman.
The victims were not Glendale Adventist patients and employees, hospital spokeswoman Alicia Gonzalez said.
The lab is run by Parexel, a private clinical trial research agency, on the third-floor wing of the medical office building, which is in the 1500 block of East Chevy Chase Drive on the hospital’s campus, she added.
The wing was evacuated after glacial acetic acid spilled inside the lab, Villanueva said. The colorless acid is used in pharmaceutical studies and bio-engineering, she added.
Glendale fire and Hazardous Material crews arrived at the hospital at 11:42 a.m. after receiving reports about the chemical spill.
Fire personnel worked on the spill to ensure it was cleaned properly, Villanueva said.
The hospital was not affected and remained open to public during the incident.
Copyright 2013 Glendale News-Press
|McClatchy-Tribune News Service|
All Rights Reserved