Amount: $306 million
Application Due Date: December 2015 est.
AFG 2014 Funding : $306 Million
Purpose: Protect the public and fire service personnel from fire and all other hazards.
Assistance to Firefighters Grants (AFG) provide financial assistance directly to fire departments and nonaffiliated EMS organizations to enhance their capabilities with respect to fire and fire-related hazards. Our primary goal is to help fire departments and nonaffiliated EMS organizations meet their firefighting and emergency response needs. AFG seeks to support organizations that lack the tools and resources necessary to more effectively protect the life and safety of the public and their emergency response personnel with respect to fire and all other hazards.
While needs may be local, grant funded equipment should enhance regional and national response capabilities and building out the “Whole Community” concept
- Fire departments
- Nonaffiliated EMS organizations
- State Fire Academies
AFG funding priorities differ for fire departments and nonaffiliated EMS organizations. Please read the guidance document with this in mind, and make sure that you are researching the appropriate sections for your organization.
1. Fire Department Priorities:
- Fire Operations and Firefighter Safety:
- Basic Communications Projects
- Cardiac Compression Devices
- Firefighter Wellness and Fitness
- Modifications to fire stations and facilities
- Firefighter Vehicle Acquisition
- Microgrants: Limited to $25,000 federal share
2. Nonaffiliated EMS Organization Priorities:
- EMS Operations and Safety
- EMS Training
- EMS Equipment Acquisition
- EMS PPE
- EMS Wellness and Fitness
- Modifications to EMS Stations and Facilities
- EMS Vehicle Acquisition
Cost sharing requirements under the FY2014 AFG Program will be announced when guidance is published. Historically, it has been based on the population protected by the grantee. The cost-share breakdown for 2013 was as follows:
- Fire departments and nonaffiliated EMS organizations serving populations of over 1M = 15% of the total project cost.
- Fire departments and nonaffiliated EMS organizations serving populations between 20,000 and 1M = 10% percent of the total project cost.
- Fire departments and nonaffiliated EMS organizations serving areas with a population of 20,000 or fewer = 5% of the total project cost.
Important Documents and Weblinks:
FY14 AFG Guidelines
FY14 AFG Application Checklist
FY14 AFG Application Get Ready Guide
FY14 AFG Narrative Get Ready Guide
FY14 Regional Workshop Presentation
SAM Get Ready Guide