Amount: $288 Million
Application Due Date: June 2014 est
AFG 2013 Funding : $288 Million
Purpose: Protect the public and fire service personnel from fire and all other hazards.
Assistance to Firefighters Grants (AFG) provide financial assistance directly to fire departments and nonaffiliated EMS organizations to enhance their capabilities with respect to fire and fire-related hazards. Our primary goal is to help fire departments and nonaffiliated EMS organizations meet their firefighting and emergency response needs. AFG seeks to support organizations that lack the tools and resources necessary to more effectively protect the life and safety of the public and their emergency response personnel with respect to fire and all other hazards.
- Fire departments
- Nonaffiliated EMS organizations
- State Fire Academies
AFG funding priorities differ for fire departments and nonaffiliated EMS organizations. Please read the guidance document with this in mind, and make sure that you are researching the appropriate sections for your organization.
1. Fire Department Priorities:
- Fire Operations and Firefighter Safety:
- PPE gear
- Firefighter Wellness and Fitness
- Modifications to fire stations and facilities
- Firefighter Vehicle Acquisition
2. Nonaffiliated EMS Organization Priorities:
- EMS Operations and Safety
- EMS Training
- EMS Equipment Acquisition
- EMS PPE
- EMS Wellness and Fitness
- Modifications to EMS Stations and Facilities
- EMS Vehicle Acquisition
Cost sharing under AFG is based on the population protected by the grantee. The cost-share breakdown for 2013 is as follows:
- Fire departments and nonaffiliated EMS organizations serving populations of over 1M = 15% of the total project cost.
- Fire departments and nonaffiliated EMS organizations serving populations between 20,000 and 1M = 10% percent of the total project cost.
- Fire departments and nonaffiliated EMS organizations serving areas with a population of 20,000 or fewer = 5% of the total project cost.
Important Documents and Weblinks:
2013 AFG Guidance
FY 2013 AFG Operations and Safety Self-Evaluation Sheet
FY 2013 AFG Get Ready Guide Application Narrative
FY 2013 AFG Get Ready Guide Application Information
FY 2013 AFG Self Evaluation Vehicle Acquisition
FY 2013 AFG Regional Workshop Presentation