Make this page my home page
  1. Drag the home icon in this panel and drop it onto the "house icon" in the tool bar for the browser

  2. Select "Yes" from the popup window and you're done!

Home > Topics > Fire-EMS

Utah firefighter-medic drowns while snorkling in Hawaii

Andrew Walkingshaw, 43, was vacationing with his wife to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary

By Cimaron Neugebauer

HONOLULU — A Utah man visiting Hawaii died after experiencing problems while snorkeling, according to fire officials.

Andrew Walkingshaw, 43, of Taylorsville died Sunday after being taken to the hospital.

Honolulu Fire Department spokesman David Jenkins told the Standard-Examiner the man was snorkeling Sunday morning around 9:30 a.m., at Shark's Cove off Oahu's north shore when he nearly drowned. Bystanders and life guards administered CPR to Walkingshaw before emergency crews arrived.

"When they brought the patient up to parking lot they were able to get a pulse and breathing," Jenkins said.

Lifeguards and firefighters performed cardio-pulmonary resuscitation. He regained a pulse and started breathing.

The man was rushed in critical condition to a hospital and died at the facility.

The cause of death is unknown, because the autopsy is "still pending," according to the Honolulu Medical Examiner's office who released the man's identity.

Walkingshaw worked as a paramedic for South Davis Community Hospital prior to his death.

South Davis Community Hospital Chief Nursing officer Scott Anderson said Walkingshaw worked for 13 years with the company and always went out of his way to help someone in need.

"Andy was a wonderful guy," Anderson said."He was the type when he would walk in the room, everyone was drawn to him."

As a paramedic, Walkingshaw had a requirement to maintain a standard level of fitness, Anderson added although the cause of death has not been determined.

"Andy was a wonderful person. He was just a delight to be around," Anderson said. "I know his co-workers at South Davis are going to miss him. They are going to be sad he isn't here. He left that big of an impact.

Walkingshaw was also employed at Murray Fire Department.

Attempts to contact his Walkingshaw's family to obtain a photo or memory of him were not successful.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.


McClatchy-Tribune News Service
©2014 Standard-Examiner (Ogden, Utah)

The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
Lynnette Long Fisk-Shimmin Lynnette Long Fisk-Shimmin Tuesday, July 01, 2014 6:44:49 PM I've known Andy for 20 years and in those 20 years from his start as a mechanic at Gold Cross Ambulance to getting his EMT finally hiring on with Fire and ultimately working his way to his Paramedic, he has always been a gentleman first - no matter what. His smile and calming demeanor could change the entire tone of the worst scene. Every one of his patients KNEW they were in good hands and they would never be alone until Andy had someone there to replace him. I'm going to miss his laugh, the twinkle in his eye and his devotion to his family (the one at home and the one in the field)...God Speed Andy - until we meet again.

EMS1 Offers

Sponsored by

We Recommend...

Connect with EMS1

Mobile Apps Facebook Twitter Google+

Get the #1 EMS eNewsletter

Fire Newsletter Sign up for our FREE email roundup of the top news, tips, columns, videos and more, sent 3 times weekly
Enter Email
See Sample

Online Campus Both

Fire-EMS Videos