Home > Topics > Fire-EMS
January 23, 2014

Dispatcher hangs up on caller who found mother dead

The dispatcher at first tried to calm the man down, but when he swore at her she hung up the phone

By EMS1 Staff

LAS VEGAS — A fire dispatcher is still on the job after violating department policy by hanging up on a frantic caller.

8NewsNow reported that an investigation is underway for failures by the dispatcher and the department.

A hysterical man called 911 after finding his mother lying on the floor dead. The call was first fielded by a police dispatcher who handled it according to procedure. The call was then transferred to a medical dispatcher.

The conversation between the man and the dispatcher is as follows:

8 News NOW

"He says his mom passed away, I don't have an address yet." The operator told the fire dispatcher.

"Please, she's purple!" caller said.

"Ma'am, ma'am," the fire dispatcher said.

"I'm a guy!" the caller responded.

The fire dispatcher tries to get the information, but the call takes a shocking turn.

Operator: "Ok, you need to stop. You need to calm down."

Caller: "My mom's purple!”

Operator: "I need a building number."

Caller: "Please!"

Operator: "Is she breathing at all?"

Caller: "No! She's purple!"

Operator: "Ok, you don't have to holler at me, I didn't do it."

Caller: "F — you bitch!"

Operator: "Bye!"

The dispatcher disconnects the line and hangs up on the frantic man — a critical violation of department policy.

The original dispatcher remained on the line.

"We took what you gave us very seriously because it is not OK. It is not consistent with the level of service that we can to provide," Las Vegas Fire and Rescue Chief Willie McDonald told the TV station. "I guess I couldn't say this will never happen again, but we clearly have taken the steps in this case to make sure the employee is really clear on what should have happened, and there might be some retraining that might be necessary.”

The chief says corrective action was taken as a result of this investigation.

"We don't tolerate behaviors that aren't consistent with our guidelines for our protocols and our policies for our folks," Chief McDonald said.

The department is moving forward with plans for a new quality assurance position for 911 calls, according to the report.

Comments
Alice Belanger Valley Alice Belanger Valley Thursday, January 23, 2014 11:27:44 AM when people are in this position you have take that into consideration,shame on this worker!!!!!!
John Lucas John Lucas Thursday, January 23, 2014 11:50:39 AM This goes beyond retraining the employee. This dispatchers actions were unacceptable. There was a need for service (the purple victim) and the dispatcher failed to redirect the caller to acquire a reasonable address to send the appropriate help. The very basis of this career is to get help tp the caller oe victims in the least amount of time with the most appropriate help. By hanging up, the dispatcher, the system overall failed. This is NOT what we do.
Jim Werner Jim Werner Thursday, January 23, 2014 11:55:12 AM What this article fails to state is if there was a delay in the response of units to the caller.
Christina Emery Christina Emery Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:15:49 PM I have to tell you that when I woke up at 1 am last June and found my garage and back of my house on fire. I called 911 and they answered right away. I do not remember what I said to that man but he just ask me to calm down and speak slowly as he could not understand me as I think I was screaming and no telling what I said to him. He was so nice to me and so calm that it help to calm me. He stayed on the line the whole time until help arrived and I really did need him at that very moment. Macoupin 911 is the best.
Veronica Elliott Veronica Elliott Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:23:30 PM I know it is sad but this is what the emergency service workers put up with every shift. Verbal and at times physical abuse.
Julie Etheridge Corley Julie Etheridge Corley Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:27:37 PM I was and AEMD/EMT at the EMS service I worked for and I can tell you now that if any one of our dispatchers had acted like this at any time, they would no longer be employed.
Julie Etheridge Corley Julie Etheridge Corley Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:29:05 PM I would say that since the dispatcher hung up on the caller, that there was at least some sort of delay in the response of any EMS services.
Rebecca Barnes Rebecca Barnes Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:36:17 PM She should be fired. period.
Daniel Coelho Daniel Coelho Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:39:06 PM The operator should not be allowed to be a 911 operator any further. I understand that the job is stressful, but part of the job is dealing with people that are now in a very stressed out state by nature of the reason they are calling the 911 system. It is unreasonable to take this personal and to hang up on the person on the call, he was holding his dead/dyeing mother. Other then a fellow emergency responder, and even not in our case many times im sure, I doubt many would be able to stay calm in this situation. Now I'm sure it could be argued based on what the caller said that his mother was already beyond hope but I remember in EMS class that sometimes even if you know in the back of your head that she is already dead, the show of responding and showing care and urgency helps the family to move on. They feel that everything that could be done was done and that is always worth it. The mother is gone but the family lives on. We have a duty to help them all.
Michelle Marie Grasso Michelle Marie Grasso Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:42:36 PM Whoa wow!
Esha Shahanaz Reza Esha Shahanaz Reza Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:45:38 PM Wow he needs to be teminated immidiately! WOW!!!
Amy Gentry Falkofske Amy Gentry Falkofske Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:48:52 PM I agree she should be fired and looking for a new line of work.
Rob Minor Rob Minor Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:59:22 PM I worked as an EMS dispatcher as well as in the field for a few years. I totally understand the abuse of the industry but this is absolutely unacceptable. Never an excuse.
Alex Clubb Alex Clubb Thursday, January 23, 2014 1:02:27 PM She needs to be gone
Tim Clarke Tim Clarke Thursday, January 23, 2014 1:02:41 PM I agree that the dispatcher needs to be corrected, however they had transferred the call to the medical department who they said "remianed on the call" so would be hard to prove any kind of neglect or delay in service because of this. However I will also say if being called a "bitch" is gonna upset you maybe emergency service is not for them....
Veronica Elliott Veronica Elliott Thursday, January 23, 2014 1:14:15 PM I stick by my statement . Yes he was upset , the general public thinks it's fine to abuse ems. We are there to take care of them not be take their abuse.
Brad Reust Brad Reust Thursday, January 23, 2014 1:15:31 PM found his mother dead.... 911 couldn't bring her back to life and people are upset because????
Larry Hipes Larry Hipes Thursday, January 23, 2014 1:20:02 PM Should have been fired. If you can't do the job, then you should find another line of work. I have seen and heard that attitude before in numerous agencies. Some lose their job, some don't.
Bradlee Bootz Bradlee Bootz Thursday, January 23, 2014 1:22:02 PM Veronica Elliott are you retarded you fucking bitch????????????????????? He wasn't abusing the ems!!! he was obviously distraught and shocked. and the dispatcher was being rude to him! she should of nevr said what she said and then she hung up? how are you gonna take the ems side?? are you that fucking ignorant im pretty sure you would feel the same way as the guy the lady basically caused the death of the sons mother
Kayla Kain Kayla Kain Thursday, January 23, 2014 1:29:43 PM I agree she does need to be fried but that didn't give them the right to swear he sould have hung up instead
Glenn Causer Glenn Causer Thursday, January 23, 2014 1:29:51 PM The employee has the address if this and I bet it is an enhanced 911 system. Dispatcher should realize the caller is distraught and show so me common sense and compassion
Veronica Elliott Veronica Elliott Thursday, January 23, 2014 1:31:17 PM Bradley you are exactly what I am talking about. You don't agree with what I say , so you start cussing me. Thank you for making my point.
Mary Gillard Mary Gillard Thursday, January 23, 2014 1:36:01 PM I heard this previously and thought the same thing. You could tell by the sound of impatience in her voice she wasn't flustered (which would hint that perhaps more "retraining" was necessary. ) She sounded more annoyed that he was "bugging" her!)
Bradlee Bootz Bradlee Bootz Thursday, January 23, 2014 1:36:23 PM Veronica Elliott Im cussing at you because you are the only one who is taking the dispatchers side, you are fucking crazy and obviously heartless
Rob Minor Rob Minor Thursday, January 23, 2014 1:37:08 PM Veronica Elliott I do understand the abuse, really I do, I was in it for 14 years full time, but patient care should always trump ego and pride. That is true professionalism.
Veronica Elliott Veronica Elliott Thursday, January 23, 2014 1:51:13 PM Rob, all I am saying is there is 2 sides to every story and I do agree with you about professionalism. The other response is a classic example of what I am speaking of. Thank you for being a adult and discussing this with me
Amanda Brat Anderson Amanda Brat Anderson Thursday, January 23, 2014 1:59:13 PM fire the bitch.....the end
Ed Praetorian Ed Praetorian Thursday, January 23, 2014 2:32:02 PM Bradlee Bootz, I know this is an emotional issue, but please be respectful of other readers. Engaging in personal attacks violates our terms of service. I'm going to hide this comment, and you're welcome to restate your position in a more considerate way. Thanks for understanding.
Shelley Thresher- Soto Shelley Thresher- Soto Thursday, January 23, 2014 2:42:11 PM God help us all, if this is how a dispatcher is suppose to act. The male that placed a call was upset for good reason and called for help; not for starcasim. The employee should have been taken off of the job without pay and should have to be retrained and write a letter of apology to the guy she hung up on. Just saying...
Sherri Bourne Sherri Bourne Thursday, January 23, 2014 3:00:49 PM The dispatcher needs to be fired.
Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Thursday, January 23, 2014 3:01:38 PM Wow!! I am speechless. I have heard the nicest priest in town say more and worse under duress. Speechless beyond that.
Bobbette Bohling DeLalio Bobbette Bohling DeLalio Thursday, January 23, 2014 3:36:42 PM The dispatcher should be fired at the very least. She should find employment where she doesn't have to interact with people or animals either. Maybe a morg.
Bridget Wall McNair Bridget Wall McNair Thursday, January 23, 2014 3:46:01 PM I agree.
Larry Davis Larry Davis Thursday, January 23, 2014 3:50:24 PM Terminate her. Now.
Steve Ferriss Steve Ferriss Thursday, January 23, 2014 3:55:15 PM Hmmm...ok...I'm the FireMedic on the call...the family member calls me a name...I can just stop patient care, get in my truck and go 10-8...my only disciplinary action is retraining??? Ummm NOPE!!!
Bradlee Bootz Bradlee Bootz Thursday, January 23, 2014 3:56:12 PM Ed Praetorian who are you? a nobody so shut the fuck up ! ever heard of freedom of speech? So i dont see the need to hide my comment you lil skeezeball. go jump off a bridge or how about ill set your house on fire you fucktard
Holly Elliott Ash Holly Elliott Ash Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:04:28 PM WOW...I can't believe that happened, but as you said there is always two sides... I have seen first hand the abuse you have been through at the hands of people you were trying to help... so for that reason I know you are not heartless at all.
Royce Edwards Royce Edwards Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:36:44 PM I understand that the job is stressful, but everything went off the rails when the dispatcher said "Ok, you don't have to holler at me, I didn't do it." That kind of statement was designed to illicit a strong reaction, and the caller had every right to curse her out. That dispatcher should be on unemployment, pure and simple.
John Gaska John Gaska Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:41:22 PM I am a former 911 dispatcher and know that this dispatcher should be unemployed and blackballed!
Vickie Schoening Vickie Schoening Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:41:54 PM oh my gosh, I agree!
Kim Shlotzhauer Simchik Kim Shlotzhauer Simchik Thursday, January 23, 2014 5:03:00 PM this should be a NO BRAINER the dispatcher should of been fired right on the spot walked right out the door
Chase White Chase White Thursday, January 23, 2014 5:38:37 PM It was a POLICE dispatcher that stayed on the line. All medical calls go through the fire department (who hung up) then transferred the private ambulance company.
Bruce T Corbett Bruce T Corbett Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:01:55 PM how would 911 operator like it if she found her mother dead and she called 911 and the operator hung up on her this should have never happened steps need to be taken so this woman does not do this again...
Mildred Manzi Mildred Manzi Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:09:09 PM SHE SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIRED
Stephanie Garcia Stephanie Garcia Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:13:21 PM I always thought there was no need for address bc if the call gets disconnected they are supposed to be able to locate you!!!!
Michael Jaskowski Michael Jaskowski Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:36:12 PM Sorry but this dispatcher should be TERMINATED. That was totally unacceptable. She did not even try to get any information, calm the caller, or have the caller on the line long enough to assess anything. Allowing this person to continue to answer emergency calls is totally unacceptable.
Bryan Hunt Bryan Hunt Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:41:04 PM As a Retired EMT 20 years in the field. I find this DEPLORABLE .The dispatcher failed in two things ,She had a duty to act send responding units to right address and to effective communicate to responding units at very minimum patient, abandonment did occur which cause an interuption in service .It could also be stated the caller was experiencing a traumatic event seeing his dead mother, he in essence also at that point became a patient experiencing a temporary emotional emergency .Was this DISPATCHER even a trained EMT ? If so she should not only lose her job, but they need to make sure her EMT license is revoked on the grounds this person is too unstable to be in this type of public service. EMT BRYAN HUNT RET
Charles Salvi Charles Salvi Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:48:19 PM Bye????? The chief does not know who the voice is? Old system.
Terry Sullivan Terry Sullivan Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:01:19 PM she should be fired but you know affirmative action she will be retrained and given a supervisors job
Arliss Arbeau Arliss Arbeau Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:42:36 PM I've dispatched fire calls before and have had people swear at me I have never hung up on any caller. The dispatcher should be fired.
Jill Kring Carter Jill Kring Carter Thursday, January 23, 2014 8:21:37 PM "I didn't do it," was unnecessary, and the sign of someone not likely cut out for this type of work. It sparked a side of this man, already distraught, that didn't need to be sparked. The angry fella crossed another line with his choice of words in angry response. A deep breath on both their parts was in order.
Charles Faulkner Charles Faulkner Thursday, January 23, 2014 8:31:11 PM Absolutely needs to be dismissed. Yes, she was sworn at - It's happened to me as a medic more than once, but you don't turn your back on someone in distress. Her sarcastic "Ok, you don't have to holler at me, I didn't do it." didn't help matters, but re-educating that dispatcher won't help either. She needs a new job.
Dottie Di Liddo Dottie Di Liddo Thursday, January 23, 2014 8:33:42 PM people are not upset because the woman wasn't revived, it's the deplorable treatment of that dispatcher to the caller. This dispatcher needs to be fired. If I treated a patient or a member of the public like this I would be fired. This dispatcher had an attitude before the Don't yell at me comment, re listen to the tape. She needs to find a job better suited to her unique personality.
Loren Martin Bruner Loren Martin Bruner Thursday, January 23, 2014 8:34:06 PM Thank God the original dispatcher stayed on the line so that someone at least would find out where this poor woman and her frantic son were. A little reassurance could have gone a long way, to get him to cooperate with the questioning long enough to get an address. "I'm sending help but I need to know where you are." A dispatcher who is unable to control her own feelings in a situation where it isn't even her emergency, long enough to get the very basic information needed to do her job, is in the wrong business. She makes the rest of us look bad.
Dottie Di Liddo Dottie Di Liddo Thursday, January 23, 2014 8:34:50 PM Judging someone for cussing when they've just found their mother dead and purple on the floor is kind of harsh, don't ya think?
Delya Stoltz Delya Stoltz Thursday, January 23, 2014 8:40:51 PM Dispatchers and call takers need to be better than human. I know that you guys on the Med 10 succeed in this, from my interactions anyway, but it's sad that woman brought her own pride and sensitivity to a very difficult job...
Charles Faulkner Charles Faulkner Thursday, January 23, 2014 8:41:07 PM Needs to be fired.
Teri Griffin-Pagenkop Teri Griffin-Pagenkop Thursday, January 23, 2014 9:00:54 PM It all goes back to training, and making sure that your center is adequately staffed, and that the employee's are healthy ,,, mentally and emotionally enough to be sitting in that chair. Call takers go through the same PTSD as a medic or EMT, sometimes more, because they aren't awarded the benefit of closure. It's very important that management be able to recognize the signs of stress or triggers. I'm sure this isn't the first occurrence of toxic behavior from this employee, but unfortunately they are usually overlooked until something "news worthy" happens.... One of my favorite lines to staff on all calls is "would that pass the newspaper test". Very unfortunate.
David Boston David Boston Thursday, January 23, 2014 9:28:13 PM I went into this wanting to be on the dispatchers side, but she really did come off as very uncaring and crass from the start. The police dispatcher handled the situation very well. A 911 caller should never be hung up on especially in this kind of situation. Very sad for the young man who found his mother.
David Harbour David Harbour Thursday, January 23, 2014 9:59:36 PM I was a dispatcher for long enough to experience this scenario many times. It is so frustrating when people refuse to be rational for even one second. However, hanging up? NOPE! Not sure any amount of retraining will correct this problem. Hey, give her a chance, then fire her. Perhaps the best way to get the guy to calm down would have been to give some pre-arrival instructions and then move forward, it often helped.
Jeremy Markham Jeremy Markham Thursday, January 23, 2014 11:04:28 PM Unacceptable in our line of work. Needs to be let go.
David Knight David Knight Thursday, January 23, 2014 11:49:00 PM no training can fix that. FIRE THE EMPLOYEE. You just opened yourself up for a law suit by not.
Loren Martin Bruner Loren Martin Bruner Friday, January 24, 2014 4:01:16 AM Something to always try to keep in mind is that this is not MY emergency. In a minute or so when the call ends I can get up & take a walk. But this guy's mother will still be dead & his nightmare has just begun.
Trisha Jordan Trisha Jordan Friday, January 24, 2014 4:22:43 AM You're crazy Charlie Lol !
Amy L. Norman Amy L. Norman Friday, January 24, 2014 5:30:09 AM She needs to be fired. She has already been "trained" on what to do in those situations. If I left a patient or refused to treat a patient every time I've been cussed, I would be sued, lose my license & charged with abandonment.
Melinda Teaster Williams Melinda Teaster Williams Friday, January 24, 2014 5:57:55 AM Unbelievable, and this dispatcher is still working wow
Rebecca Kuzdek Rebecca Kuzdek Friday, January 24, 2014 6:43:05 AM I can only wonder how many of you have actually dispatched? I'm not saying it was right becuase it was not but I this a very stressful job at times and we are all human. That same dispatcher could have already helped or saved many lives so do be so quick to judge unless you walk in their shoes.
Loren Freeman Morse Loren Freeman Morse Friday, January 24, 2014 6:52:16 AM The fact that you are only retraining and not FIRING this piece of garbage is baffling to me...... These people really hold our fate in their hands with these phone calls and this is just disgusting...... How would you feel if this was your mother, wife, child, father, husband, sister, brother...... What is this world coming to when you get nothing but a slap on the wrist for something so despicable?? What's next? It will be ok for nurses to euthanize patients?? Cops can go on a shooting spree?? This is just SICKENING!!
Cathy Arthur Mills Cathy Arthur Mills Friday, January 24, 2014 7:24:58 AM Seriously or how about punched, spit on or threatened? I dispatched and believe me there were times you wanted to hang up but these are people in stressful situations and we were trained to handle it. Fire her!!
La Negrita Morales La Negrita Morales Friday, January 24, 2014 7:28:42 AM wow thats was wrong on her
Jamey A. Alley Jamey A. Alley Friday, January 24, 2014 7:38:40 AM The Medical dispatcher didn't stay on the line!! The call was first fielded by a police dispatcher who handled it according to procedure. The (Medical) dispatcher disconnects the line and hangs up on the frantic man — a critical violation of department policy. The original dispatcher remained on the line.
Bonnie Pontillo Bonnie Pontillo Friday, January 24, 2014 9:07:57 AM Jamey A. Alley the article states "The dispatcher disconnects the line and hangs up on the frantic man — a critical violation of department policy. The original dispatcher remained on the line. "Ok, listen, we have medical and officers responding. Was she sick? What happened to her?" the dispatcher asked." So the 1st dispatcher stayed connected and was able to eventually get the information. The one that hung up should be fired IMMEDIATELY
Tim Clarke Tim Clarke Friday, January 24, 2014 9:11:21 AM Jamey A. Alley i had it backwards then on the video. i thought medical stayed on the line and the other person hung up. by any means the person needs disciplined/terminated.
Terry Hartless Terry Hartless Friday, January 24, 2014 9:47:39 AM she does need to be fired, sorry, but she does
Jamey A. Alley Jamey A. Alley Friday, January 24, 2014 9:58:15 AM Tim Clarke, I totally agree with the termination part and that's it, no if ands or buts about it. just letting you know it was the other way around.
Kenneth Purkey Kenneth Purkey Friday, January 24, 2014 9:59:39 AM Wtf
Cliff Bullock Cliff Bullock Friday, January 24, 2014 10:00:38 AM She should have been FIRED immediately!!! There is not enough training available to correct being a heartless MORON!!! Then the Chief says that you cant be certain that this will never happen again smh......I feel sorry for the people in Las Vegas if you need emergency assistance!
Jamey A. Alley Jamey A. Alley Friday, January 24, 2014 10:00:59 AM Bonnie Pontillo, other that the dispatcher needing to be fired, what did I miss??
Martha Hubbard Reynolds Martha Hubbard Reynolds Friday, January 24, 2014 10:26:13 AM yep she needs to be fired!
Laura Wright Laura Wright Friday, January 24, 2014 10:34:43 AM Fired! Hanging up wasn't the worse thing I think I was "well, I didn't do it".
Kim Hatfield Theodore Kim Hatfield Theodore Friday, January 24, 2014 10:46:20 AM That dispatcher should have been fired!!
Ashley Dawn Foxworthy Ashley Dawn Foxworthy Friday, January 24, 2014 10:53:00 AM She stays on the job but I can be fired for sustaining a spinal cord injury and being in the ICU on a ventilator. I was let go simply for my "inability to attend work" no other disciplinary... but this dispatcher is "retrained?" What an embarrassment to all dispatchers who take their job seriously and handle calls much more stressful than that with much more professionalism than that.
Jaime Salazar Jaime Salazar Friday, January 24, 2014 12:07:21 PM Fire the douche bag. Obviously, the dispatcher is in the wrong regardless, of the cussing. Unacceptable behavior.
Wayland Slater Wayland Slater Friday, January 24, 2014 1:32:34 PM What? Did the dispatcher think the caller whose mother was dead or dying would be completely calm, cool, and collected? Sounds like this dispatcher took the yelling and language personally. If so she needs to get over herself. Get some thicker skin. Part of the job is to try and calm the caller down, get what info they can, and even try to comfort the man. Or possibly the dispatcher has no empathy and didn't care what the caller was going through. If so, she needs to get out of the biz.
Tina Barham Tina Barham Friday, January 24, 2014 2:43:41 PM So very sad on many levels.
Brian Davis Brian Davis Friday, January 24, 2014 2:54:19 PM Should be fired no exceptions
Paul Russell Sr Paul Russell Sr Friday, January 24, 2014 4:55:57 PM Sounds like her next job will be a navigatior for signing up for the great obamacare. The dispatcher is past retraining.
Ben Springett Ben Springett Friday, January 24, 2014 4:59:16 PM Tim! My ph#is 943-1677,give me a call and we'll get together for coffee ,as you suggested.
Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Friday, January 24, 2014 5:02:01 PM Ben Springett I just texted ya
Ben Springett Ben Springett Friday, January 24, 2014 5:07:27 PM Funny how that works.I'm at my Landlords, using his computer.I don't text.Ileft my cell phone home tonight anyway
Ben Springett Ben Springett Friday, January 24, 2014 5:12:54 PM Imissed it Tim.Give me a call tommorow morning."LATE"! LOL
Susanne Fleming Susanne Fleming Friday, January 24, 2014 6:11:25 PM Under this kind of stress people are not rational!!! It is the responders job to remain calm! If you can't take getting sworn at..yelled at and totally disrespected DO NOT TAKE THE JOB!! You are there to help people not get your ego fed!
Pierre Lebouef Pierre Lebouef Friday, January 24, 2014 10:11:56 PM Fire and move on.
Charlene Jansen Charlene Jansen Monday, January 27, 2014 6:41:40 AM Wow! Speechless. I agree, this goes way beyond retraining.
Susan Moyer Susan Moyer Thursday, March 06, 2014 7:38:33 PM She should be fired, no ifs ands or buts. Unacceptable what she did.