Colo. teen hurt in coffee grinder fireworks blast
The teen was trying to break down fireworks he had purchased so he could turn them into larger fireworks
The Associated Press
DURANGO, Colo. — A Colorado teen is recovering from serious burns he suffered when the fireworks he was attempting to mix in a coffee grinder exploded.
Police say the incident happened Monday when 19-year-old Sean Michael Ogden of Durango was trying to break down fireworks he had purchased so he could turn them into larger fireworks. The blast shook the house of a fire inspector who lives about a quarter-mile away.
Fire marshal Tom Kaufman told The Durango Herald that the friction from the electric grinder could have ignited the mixture.
He says the teen had read online about how larger fireworks could be made from smaller ones.
Copyright 2015 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of EMS1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.