Mo. state fair evacuated due to carbon monoxide

Exhaust from a parade of antique tractors put off a lot of the gas in the exhibit hall; some experienced nausea, drowsiness and headaches and one man was transported to the hospital

By Pat Pratt
The Sedalia Democrat, Mo.

SEDALIA, Mo. — Missouri State Fair Authorities evacuated the Mathewson Exhibit Center and paramedics transported one individual to Bothwell Regional Healthcare on Tuesday afternoon due to elevated levels of Carbon Monoxide (CO) inside.

Missouri State Fair Fire Department personnel and Missouri State Highway Patrol (MSHP) troopers responded at 2:48 p.m. to the exhibition center located in the western section of the Missouri State Fairgrounds and cleared the building following a test of the air.

MSHP Troop A Public Information Officer Collin Stosberg said the excessive levels of the poisonous gas were produced by an antique tractor show.

“There were antique tractors doing a parade and they put off a lot of Carbon Monoxide. With the amount of exhaust in the building we got some complaints and the fire department responded,” Stosburg said.

First responders evaluated some individuals at the scene for symptoms including nausea, drowsiness and headaches, which are often associated with elevated CO levels. Paramedics transported one individual to Bothwell Regional Healthcare, for further evaluation of symptoms.

“It was just for a precautionary measure to monitor their dizziness and headache,” Stosburg said.

At 4:45 p.m., CO levels in the Mathewson Exhibit Center were determined to be safe and normal activities resumed.

“They ventilated the building and two hours later it was back to normal. They had another event and they were able to move on with that with no problem,” Stosburg said.


©2014 The Sedalia Democrat (Sedalia, Mo.)

McClatchy-Tribune News Service
  1. Tags
  2. Carbon Monoxide
  3. Evacuation
  4. Hospital
  5. Treatment

Recommended Evacuation

Join the discussion